[Newspoetry] Che Returns from the Underground

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 20 14:27:55 CDT 2000

Urbana-Underground Poets International

Che, a well-known revolutionary cat feared lost in the struggle against
repression and corporate tyranny, surfaced from the underground late
Saturday evening. His comrades had nearly given up hope and feared the
worst, since no messages had been received from the rebel cat leader
since his mysterious disappearance nearly four weeks ago.

Although Che was asked repeatedly where he had been, he would only meow,
"No comment." Informed sources indicate that Che may have been the
mysterious leader of the protests that racked the Republican and
Democratic conventions and may, in fact, be wanted by the FBI on
trumped-up charges of revolutionary terrorism.

Che is being sheltered now by his comrades in a safe house, thought to
be near downtown Urbana. Although he looked a little haggard and had
lost considerable weight, he spoke of his determination to continue to
carry out his revolutionary duties, no matter the risk to his personal
safety.

"The authorities think they can stop this movement, but we are united
and strong in struggle. The sight of so many comrades marching in the
streets of Philadelphia and Los Angeles bouyed me up when things were
grim. I will not surrender-charges of terrorism are pure nonsense. We
have acted purely against property at all times; no one was injured by
any of our actions. Sure the authorities are embarrassed, but their
weakness against the just onslaught of revolutionary cats and people
will not be helped by frivolous, manufactured charges," Che said in a
news conference at a secure location.

Afterwards, he was wisked away in a green, four-wheel drive vehicle to
continue resting from his latest campaign. There was no comment on
reports that he may soon fly to Prague, Czechoslovakia to lead protests
against the capitalist-dominated world economic system.

-30-