[Newspoetry] online writing workshop

Anne Bargar babs at prairienet.org
Sat Dec 9 17:42:26 CST 2000

A few thoughts on workshops:

 Despite thier (many) shortcomings, i got more out of workshops that any
other calsses in college.   maybe this was because we ended up receiving
more attention and feedback, be it from the teacher or each other.
I either never quite knew what would get me top grades, or never bothered
to do whatever it was; the grading seemed entirely arbitrary a good deal
of the time.  this was somewhat problematic, but not something we'd be
worrying about here.  I also distinctly remember not being able to respond
to some pieces, not without more time than i had in which to do so.
having to respond to everything meant for me a shoddy response.  had i had
a month to think about a piece instead of a week, my responses to most
writting would have been more thorough, more helpful, and more
interesting. (Were i to take part in an online writting workshop, i'd have
to either have a lot of time to respond, or not feel obligated to respond
to everything.)

how about a rotating moderator?

another thought on grading is that, in participatory classes, it proves
detrimental to the grades of those who are more shy than others.

-Anne