[Newspoetry] Newspoetry Print Book

Rick Burkhardt rburkhar at ucsd.edu
Sun Dec 10 19:22:13 CST 2000

All rights waived.

(Susan Parenti's new book of plays has a good solution to the
copyright problem...  I don't remember the exact wording but it uses
the phrase "expressly waived")

I usually copyright things with a little remark ("All rights reserved
by the authors" is the one I use) not in order to rack up money (not
about to happen anyway) or prevent other people from performing the
work (which probably will happen), but to prevent others from using
it and copyrighting it themselves.  I used to think that was a stupid
worry too (like McDonald's is going to use one of my songs to sell
McHeads -- hey it could happen) -- but recently I got into a
situation where somebody wants to market a lot of what I do under a
different name than I use... and it's touchy.  I have to be very
careful that I remain in control of the way it will be presented just
so that somebody else doesn't change it into something politically
opposite of what it is now and THEN sell it.  (The word
"collaborative" doesn't always have a positive meaning.)

Since an awful lot of Newspoetry stuff is comedy material, which has
a very different kind of market than poetry material, I think
copyrighting it is appropriate as a way to ensure that it stays in
its current format until the authors want it to be used for something
else.  Which could happen whenever they want.

God I sound like I live in California don't I.  Shit.

Anyway I'd be most flattered to be included in such a volume.

Rick