[Newspoetry] poem

Anne Bargar babs at prairienet.org
Fri Dec 29 15:41:58 CST 2000

Yet Another Boring Travelogue

This Central Indiana gas station doesn't sell maps;
I have to check my route at the first rest stop past the Ohio border 'cuz
(Bruce and Polly don't live near the interstate and my atlas is long gone)
singing at the top of my lungs almost covers up the loud small airplane-esque
passenger side tire whining that I've been listening to for six hours.

The gradual decline in accumulation of snow between Illinois and Ohio
doesn't correlate into well-plowed state highways; they wind their way
through those topographic anomalies know as "hills."
Its getting dark as I fly past St. Paris.

Speaking of hills, I can see one across the valley from Bruce and
Polly's front window while we listen to Alan Tanahill's heavy-metal
rendition of "Flight of the Bumblebee" on Christmas morning.

Fun fact: Pike County, Ohio, has a township named "Pee Pee."