[Newspoetry] hey look I remembered a subject line

simon mills samills at innotts.co.uk
Fri Feb 4 19:15:26 CST 2000

Hi Joe & Will,

1. I havn't so much been lurking for nine months as been busy. Y'know that
kind of period where you read bits and pieces but know if you get started
another section of your life elsewhere will disappear. Actually I work for
the CIA and the whole trAce presence at Albany was an attempt to infiltrate
Newspoetry and expose it for the bunch of commie, libertarian, (probably
vegetarian!)
anarcho-syndicalist-probably-of-a-Proudhoun-black-flag-waving-the
trains-always-ran-on-time-in-spain-during-the-civil-war-and-stalin-wasn't-al
l-bad kind of organisation it almost certainly is.

RE:

>They did however make the highly uneducated choice not to vet the
> people it allowed to sign up and publish homepages under it's own domain.

What I meant was that like most ISP's they let you have a certain amount of
webspace. So if you've got a geocities acoount then your webspace would have
a URL somewhat like:

 www.geocities.com/cant-be-arsed-to-get-my-own-domain-name/

and for the tory isp you'd get as your webspace address, as the attachment
demonstrates:

www.tory.org/home/i'mawanker/

which is highly open to abuse especially as they didn't bother to check who
was joining up.

Joe, my main source for this one was the wonderfully sarcastic www.ntk.net
whom I love for being so damn English about this American internet thing!

I quote:

  "Who says that the Tory's aren't responsive? We're pleased to
         announce that the SMTP spam relay at tory.org pointed up in
         last Friday's NTK was fixed by Saturday morning. Sadly, the
         Conservatives were a little tardier in stopping one
         supporter from subscribing to their free ISP service this
         week. Within minutes, he'd taken advantage of their homepage
         Webspace offer, and was offering a special "cash for
         questions" e-commerce service - hosted, naturally, at
         www.tory.org. The page was deleted swiftly, leaving the
         volunteer no alternative but to subscribe again, this time
         running the appeal on a new page:
         http://www.tory.org/home/bollocks/ . Tory.org has now
         suspended all new subscriber registrations. Presumably to
         stop Jeffrey Archer trying the same trick.
         http://www.ntk.net/2000/02/04/dohtory.gif
                             - hey, they should team up with Netbanx!
         http://www.theregister.co.uk/000202-000011.html
                                - Register pals deliver the upper cut"

and for the Newspoetry guys coming to England I will be available for party
bookings to the pub and local Indian takeaway.

I can also speak in a fake Manchester accent like that woman in Frasier just
to give you that local vibe.

best,

Simon