[Newspoetry] boughs of cows (fwd)

sigfried at shout.net sigfried at shout.net
Fri Feb 11 22:10:35 CST 2000

On the subject of old American favorites.  Here's a lengthy
usenet exchange from rec.arts.poems 1993.

sig

Article 38051 of rec.arts.poems:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems
From: wachtel at canon.co.uk (Tom Wachtel)
Subject: Re: POEM WANTED
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 93 18:31:39 GMT

> >sig at genesis.MCS.COM (Sigfried Gold) writes:
> >>
> >> oh yeah, I wrote that poem.  it goes:
> >>
> >>           Gazing at the Boughs of Cows
> >>           ----------------------------
> >>
> >>           What if this life is full of cares?
> >>           You got no time to stand and stare,
> >>           No time to stand beneath the cows
> >>           and gaze up at their drooping boughs.
> >>
> >>           And comb that milk out of your hair.
> >>           Why _are_ you standing under there?
> >>           Get back to all your hoes and ploughs
> >>           and quit molesting helpless cows.
> >>
> >>           Sigfried Gold, 1933

> Tom Wachtel <wachtel at canon.co.uk> wrote:
> >

> >no, no, -i- wrote it, dammit.
> >

> >  Guessing at the Names of Shows
> >  ------------------------------
> >
> >  What of this life so full of cars?
> >  You got no time to stand in bars,
> >  No time to pull, no pull for corks
> >  no time to muse on tuning forks.
> >
> >  And cut that cool out of your stare.
> >  Why _are_ you standing limp yet bare?
> >  Get back to all your hose and paints
> >  and quit molesting in-no-saints.
> >
> >  Tom Wachtel, 1924
> >
> >Tom Wachtel (wachtel at canon.co.uk)

> >sig at genesis.MCS.COM (Sigfried Gold) writes:
>
> Shame on you, Tom!  You totally plagiarized that
> poem from my classic, Oh, Take Me, Death.
>
>    Oh, Take Me, Death
>    ------------------------------------------
>    Alack!  My life, so full of scars
>    My time has come to take the stars
>    Oh Death!  Thou pullest out my cork
>    And run me through with thine dread fork
>
>    The end, so cool, so raw, so bare,
>    I shiver in my underwear.
>    Oh, take me, Death, from these complaints,
>    Molest my form without restraint.
>
>    Sigfried Gold, 1867

Tom Wachtel <wachtel at canon.co.uk> wrote:

pathetic attempt at post hoc rationalisation of erring done before.
every -knows- you wrote this after that famous evening when you thought
you had stolen my manuscript, but it was actually a mere note to
you-know-who... not that you would have noticed the difference.

     Oats, Cake, Mead...Beth
     I lack a wife, so fuel is scarce
     Might I assume you'd take the place?
     Oh Beth! How cool it's out, minds baulk!
     You run mead through this wine-bread talk

     No foot, no knee, no thigh, no breast,
     I like to wear your undervest.
     So take me, Beth, with body paints
     and bring your leather wrist restraints