[Newspoetry] Why the Blank Verse Sonnet?

Paul Kotheimer herringb at prairienet.org
Wed Feb 23 21:57:46 CST 2000

	Why the Blank Verse Sonnet?

For spite.  To prove the sonnet isn't dead.
Because Italian rhymes too easily,
and those sing-song Petrarchans never said
too much besides "I wanna hold your hand";
and then, the 'Lizabethans had the perk
of word-inversion.  Rhymes, I say, are dumb
(_Onegin_'s the exception to the rule)
but meter speaks the heartbeat of the verse.

--And heroes, queens, and fops spoke English thus;
and so did poets, every now and then;
and "flowers fresh for vases old" and such;
plus, Herbert says a composition should,
first off, constrain itself in terms of length,
and six and eight works well enough for me.

--pjk

THE HAND-MADE RECORD LABEL		studio 109
1006 south garfield			109 Goose Alley
urbana, il 61801			urbana, il 61801