[Newspoetry] More assignments

William Gillespie william at wordwork.org
Tue Jun 20 15:42:40 CDT 2000

Newspoets,

Here are a couple of lists of assignments from last year:

<http://www.newspoetry.com/1999/991113.html>

<http://www.newspoetry.com/1999/990801.html>

Last year's editorial stanza encouraged writing about the news experimenting
with poetic form (as Mark described), with the web's potential for image,
sound, color, multiply-linked "hypertext" pomes, slow-loading Flash animations
with endless midi drum loops, and pornography. There is also, more poignantly,
the potential the web offers serious (and even silly) journalists to, by
linking, include their sources within their reporting (see Suck.com for
examples of how this can be serious and silly). If you have access to a
scanner, you can even draw, write, collage, or type newspomes. (I recommend
that images be no more than five inches in width to avoid horizontal scrolling
on cheap monitors)

You should also entitle your poem "Picnic in Urbana" just to drive the
Newyorkers and Chicagoans nuts.

No alliteration please.

-William