[Newspoetry] something very angry

Maiko Covington mcovingt at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Fri Mar 3 13:04:02 CST 2000

On Thu, 2 Mar 2000, f. h. lombaer wrote:

> open letter to the rat-fucks trying to get elected

	[mostly snipped good rant]

> ...this is a simple issue,
> okay.  let me spell it out for you:  you made that 6-year-old KID a
> killer.  you deregulated the shit out of everything, then you looked
> away as jobs and the dignity of u.s. workers' was deported to third
> world sweat shops.  but who the fuck cares if taiwanese kids ruin their
> bodies at the age of 20 from the 23 hour work days, 7 days a week, just
> so they can afford to get to work and eat half a rind of rotten melon
> every day?  i mean, we reap the benefits, right?  no, because you looked
> away as the infrastructure in these dying cities crumbled away.  you
> looked away as the profit, the fuckin' 3000% profit that was rolling in
> from those sweat-shops, remained in the hands of top executives and
> never made its way to those who had lost their jobs, who's cities were
> becoming cesspools of smut and graft, who's fuckin' lives had been
> dedicated to seeing their country remain a world power, only to take it
> in the ass, again, as their children turned to gangs and crime just to
> get some money.

	AMEN. For once I'd like see at least ONE, just ONE fuckin' article
about this homicide case put in a sidebar about what exactly has HAPPENED
in the Flint area _due_to_GM_. I wanna see it there, in black and white,
side by side. Sure, a few articles mention how "run down" the neighborhood
is (although they seem to use more negative words in describing the boy's
neighborhood) but they NEVER, EVER discuss just WHY in the hell things
might BE the way they are. Lots of people got evicted in those neighborhoods,
and lots of people farmed their kids out to neighbors and relatives (what
ELSE are they supposed to do?) and lots of people turned to crime. And it
sure as hell ain't happening in a vacuum.

	Maiko Covington