[Newspoetry] electoral sonnet (spenserian, even)

david moses fruchter dmf23 at thorazine.neuron.net
Wed Mar 8 12:22:06 CST 2000

A Bush, a Gore, a noun, a verb, two men
Of fam'lies well establish'd and renown'd
At Poly-Ticks and serving money's end
Two more likely patsies ne'er were found.

Less strength of will between them than a hound
Who prances and performs to get the treat
Yet one of these is who will have been crown'd
Our head of state when next our voters meet.

The whole damn thing's a sham, a ruse, a cheat
It sickens me to e'en admit my part
I work, I drive, I buy, I vote, I eat
I'd leave it all behind, had I the heart.

So what's a soul who wishes change to do?
I think I'll write newspoems, just like you...

***

hi there.  please allow me to introduce myself, or re-introduce myself as
the case may be.  i'm david fruchter.  i am a one-time short-term resident
of urbana, where i had the great good fortune to take a class from the
performer's workshop ensemble (and attend their summer school for
designing society in 1994) and to participate in the eclectic seizure
radio theater collective.  these were profoundly self-conception-altering
experiences to which i directly attribute everything worthwhile which i've
accomplished since then.

i live in austin, texas, where the livin' is easy -- often too easy.  i am
paid money to write software manuals.  i am not paid money to write plays
and stories and less identifiable things, nor to occasionally perform
these writings.  my other unpaid activities include playing the kazoo,
editing and publishing collections of writing, listening to
improvisational music, and KILLING THE PAIN ANY WAY I CAN.  excuse me.

i am delighted to have discovered this forum, and look forward to
participating.

love,
david