[Newspoetry] villanelle / haiku / NEWS SLAM

William Gillespie william at wordwork.org
Thu Mar 16 08:50:11 CST 2000

Is this the poetic equivalent of a genetic mutation? How appropriate!

Maybe we should invent a game like "telephone," in which a poem gets
passed from one person to another by e-mail, that person revises, and
passes it to someone else without sending the original draft, and so on,
then we can compile the whole evolution.

That might work best if Joe oversaw the project, to make sure the poem
was re-revised by as many people as possible..

And, as long as I'm overflowing with ideas, I think we should have a
newspoetry NEWS SLAM, which would be a competitive, and very very
performative, reading of articles from newspapers and magazines and
newsgroups. Like a poetry slam, only without putting the writerly ego
under the hammer. The best reader would be selected by a team of judges
who had no idea who we were and no interest in politics.

Enough.
WG