[Newspoetry] newsdream

Joe Futrelle futrelle at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Wed Dec 5 14:58:02 CST 2001

I dreamed that the military was allowing ordinary citizens to shoot
Taliban soldiers using their home video game machines.  You would
simply point some crosshairs at the soldier and pull a trigger, and a
remote-controlled machine gun halfway around the world would fire at
them.

I was doing this, but I accidentally fired at a famous CNN reporter,
not realizing that my controller was "armed", and killed him.  It was
immediately a major international news story.  I struggled to come to
terms simultaneously with the fact that I had just killed someone and
that the means of killing was so horrifyingly dehumanized.  I
immediately called the police to let them know what happened and tried
to cooperate, all the time in shock that by playing a video game set
up by someone else I had killed someone, and fearful of the wrath of
the us public and the international community.

editor-about-chief
Newspoetry dot kom