[Newspoetry] 50 Ways To Stop The War--A Protest Poem

charles joseph smith cjsmith2 at students.uiuc.edu
Fri Dec 14 10:01:15 CST 2001

50 WAYS TO STOP THE WAR (A PARODY ON 50 WAYS TO MEET YOUR LOVER)
           A anti-war poem by: Charles Joseph Smith

I like this beautiful, wonderful land
But now the U.S. is now an eyesore
For a new Mideast battle engulfs our innocent sand---
Yet there's...fifty ways to stop the war.

They justify that they're huntin' down bad ol' Bin Laden
By...carpet bombing at his door;
It also kills civilians, so stop! let's do no more--
It's just one of...fifty ways to stop the war.

I said...fifty ways to stop the war.

Try to be queer, dear,
Get in a dance trance,
You don't need to be shy, guy,
And just say "Oh, my!"

Climb up a lin-...den.
You don't need to be grinnin';
Just flee from the fine line,
Or you'll have a black eye!

In the Land of the Khans the war rages madly
After New York's nine-eleven gore....
And there was John Walker who betrayed us so sadly;
We need..fifty ways to stop the war.

Daisy-cutters, bunker-busters, cluster bombs too--
We had enough of their booming roar...
When will they stop dropping them? But I and you
Do have fifty ways to stop the war....

I said...fifty ways to stop the war...

Try to be queer, dear,
Get in a dance trance,
You don't need to be shy, Guy
And just say, "Oh, my!"

Climb up a lin-...den.
You don't need to be grinnin';
Just flee from the fine line,
Or you'll have a black eye!

Surely we lost those two World Trade Center towers--
They are entrenched in our minds forever more;
But unjustified aggression should not be our powers---
Just one of..fifty ways to stop the war.

Those World Trade Center attacks made a great big Ground Zero;
But I hope our renewed joy will be in store;
And if we wait until we fight, we can be all one big hero
Of the...fifty ways to stop the war.

Like that? The beautiful...fifty ways to stop the war.
Love that? The wonderful...fifty ways to stop the war.

O, try to be queer, dear,
Get in a dance trance,
You don't need to be shy, guy,
And just say, "Oh, my!"

Climb up a lin-...den.
You don't need to be grinnin';
Just flee from the fine line,
Or you'll have a black eye!

O, try to be queer, dear,
Get in a dance trance,
You don't need to be shy, guy,
And just say, "Oh, my!"

Climb up a lin-...den.
You don't need to be grinnin';
Just flee from the fine line,
Or you'll have a black eye!

Oh, yeah!!!

Note: The Land of the Khans refer to the country Afghanistan.

This poem is going to be, in my opinion, 'the perfect segue' into the
Teach-In tomorrow at the McKinley Center.