[Newspoetry] Newspoetry Movie Review: Platoon

John Wason jwason at prairienet.org
Mon Dec 31 04:42:07 CST 2001

At 11:54 PM 12/30/2001 -0600, William Gillespie wrote:

>Newspoetry Movie Review: Platoon
>by William Gillespie
>with an afterword by Mike Lehman

>'Tis the season. It's a bitterly cold New Year's Eve Eve in East Central
>Illinois, and we're in the mood to sit around the warm fireplace of a
depressing
>Vietnam movie. We couldn't get our hands on <i>The Deer Hunter</i>, so
><i>Platoon</i> will have to suffice. On grainy VHS no less.

This is the kind of stuff I wish I'd get invited to, but I never do.  You
gotta be cool, I guess.

All I know is, I absolutely loved the music in Platoon.  Best movie music I
ever heard. Haunting and evocative.  Basically the same theme song has been
used in a half dozen movies since Platoon.  Music like that happens in Reel
Life, but not in Real Life.  At least not in MY Real Life.

John