[Newspoetry] poem

Ryan Eckes ryaneckes at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 27 23:41:28 CST 2001

monkey say

so the president addressed
a divided congress

but the congress responded
united: clap clap clap

i watched it on tv

the president sported a new haircut
and looked smarter than ever before

everyone looked their best: the congressmen,
the military men, the wives, the young
hispanic couple from west chester, pa

the president, he made it all sound so good
a teleprompter never even crossed my mind

he made the missile defense system sound
as if our lives depended on it

clap clap clap

he made free trade sound
as if our lives depended on it

clap clap clap

he made the environment sound
as if our lives depended on it

clap clap clap

and he made what we've worked so hard for all our lives sound
as if our lives depended on it

clap clap clap

and he promised we are going to
get what we deserve

clap clap clap

he has trillions of dollars to put in all
these places where our lives depend on it

clap clap clap

and when he made faith-based aid sound
as if our lives depended on it,

he even laughed about how he lost
philadelphia big-time, and pointed to

philadelphia's democratic mayor, my mayor,
who was sitting right next to the president's wife

and the mayor stood up and smiled
gratefully and acted as a black man
should in such celebratory times

clap clap clap

in july we will see on the front page
of the newspaper a picture of the president and

clap clap clap

our black mayor smiling among little black
children eating ice cream and playing basketball

clap clap clap

and we will feel good about that when we see it
it will be all we need to see

clap clap clap

i watched the president on tv
and he was all i needed to hear

clap clap clap

i am old enough now to remember our last
two presidents talk on television like that

clap clap clap

and as i watched this new one i thought
he sounded a lot like those last two

clap clap clap

he makes things sound so good
i thought, yes, this monkey will do

clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap
clap clap