[Newspoetry] *takes a bead*

Scott Rettberg rettberg at eliterature.org
Fri Jan 12 20:09:28 CST 2001

*in hiriz across from highrise*

                                       (with highpowered rifle)

(unloaded)

                             *using only scope*

                     *with no intention to

                              KILL THE WRITER*

                                        (yet)

sees witty bastard spit at his message thinks

                                              DUDE DOESN'T EVEN RHYME

         thinks

                                 DUDE JUST SPAT AT MY MESSAGE

                                          thinks

                                               DUDE PROBABLY DIDN'T EVEN
REALIZE IT WAS HAIKU

sees witty fellow slam door

        *smiles*

                                 *laughs*
                                                          (hideously)

             thinks
                                 illshowhimyesi will

                                  thinks
                                                   his apartment is so
nicely furnished

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&threedayslater&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

                       sees witty fellow typing

                                   !! lots !!

                            thinks

                                            that's probably my novel he's
writing

                                thinks

                                               there's only so much room on
the shelves

                                    thinks

                                                 he doesn't write like I
write

                                       thinks

                                                  what's he saying my style
sucks?

                                          thinks

                                                   not that I want him to
write in my style

                                               but

                                                   I think he's insulting me

                                               &

where does he get the time?

   &

why is he stealing my idea for the great merican novel

*curses*

               *slams door*

                                     *takes a bead*

                                                               *swears
revenge*

                                     *takes a bead*

                *loads rifle*

*curses*

witty fellow has exited well-appointed hirise apartment

&                   gone down elevator

                    &                 gotten into a car (nice one too)

                                                           &  driven away in
a cloud

    thinks

                      how strange to "go down" an elevator