[Newspoetry] NewsPoetry Assignment and Wish

Joe Futrelle futrelle at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Tue Jul 3 16:13:22 CDT 2001

On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 12:38:35AM -0500, Paul Kotheimer wrote:
> NewsPoetry Assignment and Wish
>
> Exchange "Kissenger" for "Milosevic,"
> "Southeast Asia" for "Balkans," "Serbia,"
>
> Now rewrite any recent news piece on
> the war crimes arrest of Milosevic.

Judge Richard May: Mr Kissinger I see that you are not represented by
counsel today. We understand that this is of your own choice. You do
have the right of course to defend yourself. You also have a right to
counsel and you should consider carefully whether it is in your own
best interests not to be represented.

These proceedings will be long and complex and you may wish to
reconsider the position. In these circumstances if you wish to have
time to consider whether you want to have counsel or not, we will be
prepared to give it to you. Now do you want some time to consider now
whether you wish to be represented?

Henry Kissinger: I consider this tribunal false tribunal and
indictments false indictments. It is illegal, being not appointed by
UN General Assembly, so I have no need to appoint counsel to illegal
organ.

Judge: Well Mr Kissinger, in due course you will have the chance to
put in motions challenging the jurisdiction or any other preliminary
matters which you wish to do. But we take it that you wish to proceed
today without counsel although it is a matter which you may wish to
reconsider in due course.

This initial appearance is simply to deal with these matters: first of
all the indictment itself, and secondly for you, if you wish, to enter
your pleas of guilty or not guilty to it.

The first matter is the indictment. As you may know, you have the
right to have the indictment read out now in court before you plead to
it. This is a right which you may also waive. Now do you want to have
the indictment read out or not?

Henry Kissinger: That is your problem.

Judge: Mr Kissinger, you are now before this tribunal and you are
within the jurisdiction of it. You will be tried by the tribunal. You
will be accorded the full rights of the accused, according to
international law and the full protections of international law and
the statute.

[Long silence]

Judge: The trial chamber will treat your response as a waiver of your
right to have the indictment read out. The next part of the procedure
is to move towards having that indictment put to you. Mr Kissinger,
you may if you wish have time to consider your plea.

The rule allows you up to 30 days to do so if you don't understand the
matters to which you have to plead, or you wish to consult counsel
before entering a plea. On the other hand, you may enter a plea
today. Now do you want to enter pleas today or are you asking for an
adjournment to consider the matter further?

Henry Kissinger: This trial's aim is to produce false justification
for Communist war crimes committed in Southeast Asia.

Judge: Mr Kissinger I asked you a question. Do you wish to enter your
pleas today or are you asking for an adjournment to consider the
matter further?

Henry Kissinger: I have given you my answer. Furthermore, this
so-called tribunal...

[Microphones switched off.]

Judge: The rules state that if an accused fails to enter a plea, then
the trial chamber shall enter a plea of not guilty on his behalf. Mr
Kissinger we treat your response as a failure to enter a plea and we
shall enter pleas of not guilty on each count on your behalf.

Henry Kissinger: As I have said, the aim of this tribunal is to
justify the crimes committed in Southeast Asia. That is why this is a
false tribunal...

Judge: Mr Kissinger, this is not the time for speeches. As I have said
you will have a full opportunity in due course to defend yourself and
to make your defence before the tribunal. This is not the moment to do
so. This matter is now adjourned. The next hearing will be a status
conference which will take place the week commencing the 27 August
unless the trial chamber orders an earlier hearing. The matter is now
adjourned.

editor-along-chief
Newspoetry dod com