[Newspoetry] you should investigate this poetry scandal

Reedandrite at aol.com Reedandrite at aol.com
Sun Jul 15 07:24:30 CDT 2001

Airy Nothings: Poetry at the Chicago Sun-Times
by Gloria Klein

 “April is the cruelest month, breeding lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
memory and desire.” April is a time when the head of the American Academy of
Poets appears on national television and claims that the gay, Hindu poet Walt
Whitman is typically American. April is a time of poetry contests in Chicago.
Here, below, is the first prize winning poem by Tyehimba Jess from the
Sun-Times poetry contest. It was selected the winner by there judges. They
were: Mark Strand, the 1999 Pulitzer Prize winner for poetry and professor at
the University of Chicago; Marc Smith, founder of the performance poetry
phenomenon, the "slam;'' and Regie Gibson, the man on whose life the film
Love Jones was based. Simply put, I ask you, is this a first class poem
worthy of first place or just propaganda for the failed concerns of a
moribund liberalism? I ask this question knowing full well that critics of
contests are in a difficult situation: How can they be critical without
expressing what sounds like sour grapes?

Black Poets on Death's Corner

Black boy bears diamond studded
black cap bearing legend of
black life spray painted
on brick corner wall: RIP L.C.
There is something that throbs there
where L.C.'s blood ran
on Flournoy and Spaulding
with the boys selling stones,
with the poets making poems,
with the wide eyed crack kids,
with the sky about to break,
heaved city at our feet,
broken world in our eyes.
Bruh, I never met you,
but I see you everyday still.
A streetcorner Eshu splitting
life and death in each deal.
Maybe you got capped for this one moment:
a circle of poets and mothers and bangers
and druglords holding hands
like a prayer would ease you into the concrete
a little more graceful than bullets.
So we could pause and understand
for a moment, and then say:
I don't understand.
Hold each other
a little tighter as the rain comes,
washes us away.

The critic Walter Benjamin ends his seminal essay, “The Work of Art in the
Age of Mechanical Reproduction,” with a prophetic observation: “This is the
situation of politics which Fascism is rendering aesthetic. Communism
responds by politicizing art.” Well, the Fascists and the Communists that
Benjamin spoke about have vanished from the stage. New actors, in better
costumes, but playing the same parts, have taken their place. Now, instead of
the Communists, the moribund liberals and progressives are politicizing art,
and this is never more true than in Chicago. It comes as no surprise, then,
that the winner of the poetry contest seems to have gotten this award not by
craft but by connections.
In a recent letter to the Chicagopoetry.com web site, Jane Kostowicz writes.
“Does anyone find it a bit suspicious that Tyehimba Jess (the first place
$1,000 winner of the Sun-Times’ poetry contest) is best friends with Regie
Gibson, one of the judges, and was on The Green Mill slam team, and that Marc
Smith one of the other judges hosts at the Green Mill? I mean I think that
there were only 3 judges total. It doesn't seem fair, Even I as an unknown
lurker that sits at the bar with a Guiness, knows that Regie and Tyehimba are
very close ... just doesn't seem fair...” SEEM fair? Why, Jane, it ISN’T
fair! But don’t get worked up over all this. It’s just poetry, just sound
and fury signifying nothing. Or is it? Maybe what went on at the Sun-Times
tells us something about what is happening in our society and in our souls as
well.
How was this contest managed? A phone call to the Sun-Times informed me that
none of the three judges read all of the more than 5,000 entries. According
to John Barron, there was a preliminary screening by various readers. This
means that there were more judges than the three judges announced. In fact,
the poems were judged before they ever got to the official judges. This
raises the question about the taste and qualification of the first round of
judges. A poet I know questioned the integrity of the entire judging process.
“One judge had no integrity, another judge can’t even spell the word, and a
third judge forgot what it meant,” she said sarcastically. Based upon the
results printed in the Sun-Times, it looks like the final three judges had
poor taste and were only qualified to recognize mediocrity, but what about
the judges that read the poems before they even got to round two? Were the
same standards applied equally to every poem, by every reader, or, like chads
in the recent Florida presidential election, was there confusion and variance
over what constituted a winning poem like the confusion and variance over
what was a dangling chad? How many poems did the final judges in fact read,
and did they read in common? Answers to these question are not yet
forthcoming.
I also wanted to know what kind of standards were used in making the final
judgments. Were the judges looking for the best poetic diction, rhyme, or
modern themes in the poetry submitted?  Could the judges state clearly and
simply what they thought was a good poem and what they thought was a bad poem
and why the winning poems met their criterion for success? It would be nice
if some of those who lost the contest would send their poems to
Chicagopoetry.com and have them published on the web site. Let’s print those
losing poems beside the winners and see how they all stack up. Maybe the
people will have better judgment than the professional poets. From the final
results, it looks like the Sun-Times would have been better served if the
judges of the contest just threw all the 5,000 entries into a big, revolving
drum and drew at random three poems to be the winners. I bet the poems would
have been just as “meritorious” as the three that won and were supposedly
chosen by the judges on their “poetic” merit.
I am curious also to know how the voting went on the final selections. Was
there a unanimous vote on the first place poem, or was the vote split two to
one? No one returned my phone calls inquiring about these points, either. All
these questions and more should be answered if the Sun-Times poetry contest
is to continue and if it is to be creditable. Otherwise, it looks like
business as usual in the Chicago arts scene. A moribund liberalism uses art
to placate the minorities, to garner votes and to stem off social unrest
while at the same time proving themselves to be the Philistines everyone
suspects them to be. One may wonder what these judges are thinking when they
make such awards. I suspect some of them see themselves making decisions that
would be validated by a grand theory of postmodernism, forgetting that
postmodernism is really another disguise for anti-Semitism.
I imagine, too, that Walter Benjamin’s ghosts wanders in grief when he sees
the shenanigans that prevail in the Chicago art scene. When art is
politicized, we create an opening where the relative values of postmodernism
are allowed to dominate. This is the irony of the Sun-Times poetry contest.
In creating a contest where there were judges that gave the illusion of
standards, they ended up sunk in the swamp of postmodernism where everything
is swallowed. The standards that were supposed to be, sink into the muck of
politics and posturing. In a postmodern world, how can their be winners to
begin with? Even the Pulitzer prize succumbs to the corrosion of relativism.
We finally end up praising the pathetic, for at the very least, everyone can
be pathetic.
The results of the Sun-Times poetry contest were not shocking, but all too
predictable, given the politics of art in this city. Most people suspected
that some poet with a time-tested complaint about prejudice and persecution
would win at the Sun-Times. That’s the state of artistic sentiments in
Chicago. Now, what IS shocking was the list of winners for The Poetry Center
of Chicago’s Annual Juried Reading. Besides rewarding what some would call
mediocrity, NINETY-TWO PERCENT of the winners in that contest seem to be
women. What happened at the Poetry Center to the diversity and inclusion that
the liberal arts community in Chicago so often hypes? But that’s another
story.  For now, what would have been shocking at the Sun-Times is that the
judges had picked as the winner a poem about God written by a middle-aged,
working class white man.
When politics dominates the arts, you not only get silly poems, but ugly
murals under the Lake Shore Drive bridge and pathetic propaganda posters
hanging in the CTA stations. At this rate Chicago will need a separate land
fill just to hold all this stuff along with the garbage churned out by
Gallery 37. We cannot be shocked by the winners of these contests because a
moribund liberalism has conditioned us to expect this kind of foolish
expression. That is why when it comes to art, most people look the other way
and walk on. They have more important things to do. They step gingerly over
the trash and wish an April rain would come to wash it all away.

1,500 words

Avis Weathersbee may be reached at 312.321.2141; Mark Strand at 1.773. 702.
8408; and John Barron at 312 321.2897.

Hey Gloria -- this is a fascinating article. I'd appreciate if you could send
another copy to me directly at this email address...as you can see, when
messages bounce to me off the list, all kinds of symbol crap gets added. I'd
like to be able to forward a clean copy of this to some people I know. I
happen to like Tyehimba's poem, but I don't like corrupt contests -- similar
thing happened in NYC last year with the Lyric Recovery Festival. Ten
finalists, all friends of the "judge". I could forgive this in a free
contest, maybe, but when there's an entry fee there's should be some
obligation of fairness. Thanks for sending this over.

jackie
creatrixx at yahoo.com

Here are the rules for the Sun-Times poetry contest. The issue is rather simpl
e. The newspaper did not follow their own rules. They will investigate
corruption in the CHA, but they will not investigate corruption in their own
contest.

The rules say there will be 3 judges, but we know from their own admission
there were more, and that these judges read and disqualified many poems that
the THREE judges never saw.

The rules also say the poem must not be published or broadcast, but many say
this poem was performed (broadcast) many times by the winner who is a
“performance” poet. Go Figure.

Main Poetry Contest Official Rules

1. HOW TO ENTER: NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Enter by writing your name, age,
address, home and work telephone numbers, the name of your poem, and checking
the box for the Main Poetry Contest, or writing "Main Poetry Contest" on the
official entry form in the Chicago Sun-Times or at www.suntimes.com, or on a
postcard, and mailing it along with your poetry submission to: Chicago
Sun-Times, Main Poetry Contest, Features Department, 401 N. Wabash, Chicago,
IL 60611. Enter as often as you wish. Each entry must be mailed separately
and each poem must have a separately completed entry form attached to it.
Entries may also be dropped off at the Sun-Times Public Information Bureau,
401 N. Wabash Ave., Room 110, Chicago, IL, Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5
p.m. One entry form, per person, per day is available at the Sun-Times Public
Information Bureau. Entry forms are also available at www.suntimes.com.
Copies of the Chicago Sun-Times are available for inspection at the public
library. Entries will be accepted beginning Monday, January 29, 2001. Contest
ends February 28, 2001 at 5:00 p.m. Mechanically reproduced entries will not
be accepted. All completed entries become property of the Chicago Sun-Times
and will not be returned. All Contestants retain the copyrights to their
poems. The Sun-Times is not responsible for late, damaged, incomplete,
illegible, lost, delayed, mutilated, misdirected or postage due entries.
Receipt of entry will not be acknowledged.

2. ELIGIBILITY: To be eligible, entries must be received by February 28, 2001
at 5:00 p.m. The contest is open to residents of Illinois, Indiana, Iowa and
Wisconsin aged 15 and over, except the contest judges, employees of Chicago
Sun-Times, Inc., their affiliated companies, advertising agencies and/or
promotional partners, and their relatives. For the purposes of this contest,
relatives are defined as spouse, mother, father, in-laws, grandmother,
grandfather, brother, sister, children and grandchildren. Void where
prohibited. All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply.

3. MAIN POETRY REQUIREMENTS: Each poem must be: (I) no more than 300 words;
(II) typed or neatly printed on 8-1/2" x 11" paper; (III) in English; (IV)
attached to a fully completed entry form; (V) in any style or form, with the
exception of a limerick; (VI) the original work of the Contestant; and (VII)
never before published or broadcasted.

4. JUDGING: The poems will be judged by the following judges: Regie Gibson,
Mark Strand and Mark Smith, based on the following criteria: originality,
poetic quality and artistic merit. Winners will be notified during the week
of March 25th, 2001. Chicago Sun-Times reserves the right to change judges
should any judge be unable or unwilling to judge the contest and to appoint
additional judges should volume of entities exceed those expected. Winning
poems will be published in the Chicago Sun-Times Showcase section on Sunday,
April 8th, 2001. Winners (through their guardians, if applicable) will be
required to sign prize claims, affidavits, liability/publicity releases and
an acknowledgement of license grant or prize may be forfeited. Prizes are
non-transferable. No substitutions or cash redemptions will be made. All
prizes claimed will be awarded. All unclaimed prizes will be forfeited.

5. PRIZES: One (1) First Prize of $1,000; one (1) second place prize of $500;
and one (1) third place prize of $250. Total value of prizes $1,750.

6. COPYRIGHT/LICENSE GRANT: Contestants shall retain all copyrights to their
poems; however, by entering the contest, Contestants grant Chicago Sun-Times,
Inc. a non-exclusive, perpetual, unrestricted license to print, reprint,
publish and broadcast the poems, in whole or in part, including but not
limited to internet and other forms of electronic media. By entering the
contest, a Contestant represents and warrants to Chicago Sun-Times, Inc. that
the poem submitted by such Contestant is such Contestant's own original work
and indemnifies Chicago Sun-Times, Inc. against any intellectual property
claims regarding such poem.
7. LIMITATION ON LIABILITY: By accepting a prize, winners agree that the
contest judges, the Sun-Times, their respective parents, divisions,
subsidiaries, affiliates, advertising, promotion, and public relations
agencies, and the respective officers, directors, employees, representatives
and agencies of each shall have no liability whatsoever, for any injuries or
damage incurred in whole or in part from acceptance or use of the prizes, or
participation in this contest or publication of the winning poems. Any person
who supplies false information, obtains entries by fraudulent means, or is
otherwise determined to be in violation of these rules in an attempt to
obtain any prize will forfeit any prize won and will be prosecuted to the
fullest extent of the law. Void where prohibited. Additional state, local and
federal restrictions may apply. For a list of prize winners send a
self-addressed stamped legal-sized envelope to Chicago Sun-Times Main Poetry
Contest Winners List, 401 N. Wabash Ave., Features Department, Chicago, IL
60611.