[Newspoetry] submission

RKleinEngler at aol.com RKleinEngler at aol.com
Sun Jul 15 07:25:56 CDT 2001

THE FULL PROFESSOR ATTENDS A DIVERSITY CONFERENCE

Seagulls turn and turn above a rocky beach.
He walks alone, for now he's out of reach.
The CEOs approve his books and wit.
He fears the times become their opposite.

A word from court was all it took to bring
A mass of foolish peasants to their knees.
But that is myth long gone. We killed the king,
He stops to think, below the twilight leaves.

We had a worthy cause, set countless free,
Chopped off the heads of haughty noblemen.
It’s only fair, these quotas for diversity.
But damn, the chick is hatched and eats the hen.

Who cares if scholarship is just a con?
He needs the work. The conference will go on.
How dear it is to smile and proffer trust,
Then lick the boots that grind him in the dust.

-robert klein engler