[Newspoetry] in response to new astro-turf

Sehvilla asta at advancenet.net
Fri Jul 20 00:01:31 CDT 2001

I read in the News-Gazette that the stadium just installed a new round of
Astro-Turf.
 I wrote this story.

Standing on the new Field of Astro-Turf, I gaze at the
sea of orange-and-green polypropylene that makes up the
new floor of the stadium. I take a sip from my Coca-Cola
-resplendent with Nutra-Sweet - and bite into my chocolate bar, through
which the enhancing tastes of
caffeine, roundup-ready high fructose corn syrup, and
recombinant bovine growth hormone shine. I run my hand
through my hair - remembering that my friend wants me to
pick up his Rogaine shampoo for him when I go to the
grocery store, and fish around in my pocket for a hair-tie. All I can find
is a package of Nicorette. Oh
well.
	As I drive to the grocery store, I pass fields
of green soybeans and corn. Once at Safeway, I buy Campbell's soup and
sweet peppers, beef-tallow-and-corn- rich dog food, emulsifier this and
cornstarch that. I grab some milk and the Rogaine and head to the cash
register.
	Tired from a day of sports-playing, I drive through Taco Bell for
dinner, glancing only briefly at the notice which explains why my taco
shell is an unusual white instead of the expected yellow. I chew on
my food and leaf through my appointment book. Tomorrow
is another busy day: a Depo-Provera appointment, a job
interview, college applications.
	At my apartment complex, I park my car in my spot and nearly walk
across the lawn before noticing the
little ChemLawn signing warning me not to do so for another day. On either
side of me, kidney-shaped spots
on the lawn, future garden-bed spots outlined with black
flowerbed material contain grass that yellows quickly as
its roots die, testimony to the slogan "No Root, No Weed, No Problem".
	Upstairs I settle into bed and turn out the lights. In between
sheets of soft, bleached cotton and textile-company fibers I relax and
fall asleep.

(in other words, you can now eat, drink, inject, elect, spray, sleep
between, read about, prevent pregnancy with, accumulate in your fatty
tissues, play football on, shampoo your hair with, appoint to the FDA,
appoint to the EPA, bombard Colombian farmland with
(http://www.purefood.org/monsanto/toxicdrift.cfm), kill yourself and/or
others with, pollinate plants with, defoliate jungles with, chew and try
to quit cigarettes with, regulate, deregulate, find in the arctic waters
fish contaminated with,wipe your feet on, artificially sweeten,
consume from secondary sources(such as PCB riddled fish or rBGH milk)
and many many other things as well Monsanto, Monsanto officials, or a
Monsanto
product).

- Sehvilla