[Newspoetry] perform to help the Street Theater Festival!

Sehvilla asta at advancenet.net
Tue Jul 31 11:55:00 CDT 2001

COME PERFORM THIS WEEK TO HELP THE STREET THEATER FESTIVAL!

In order to promote the Street Theater Festival in Urbana this weekend
(Saturday, August 4th, 11-6pm; first performance at noon), Sarah Carsey
and I wrote and developed a skit that invites people to the event (I've
attached the script at the bottom of the email) to be
performed in various cafes in Urbana, Champaign and Campustown.
Originally, Sarah, Myles Robert and I were going to perform the three
parts; now this won't work because I still have laryngitis.

Would anybody like to take my place?

You would need to be able to perform for about 4 hours on Wednesday and 4
hours again on Friday (less than that if several people volunteer) at a
number of places all over town (I've attached the list of places you'd be
going). Also, you would probably need to meet for at least half an hour
before the performances to rehearse, and to try to memorize the lines
(they're pretty easy, if you forget the exact lines it's not hard to
remember roughly what you're supposed to say).

	If you're interested, PLEASE email me (asta at advancenet.net) and
not just Sarah, because her phone line is mysteriously dead, by tomorrow
morning at the latest.

	Thanks!

      Sehvilla, who is sick
SCRIPT:

LINDA is standing in line. SUSIE comes in and walks toward line, then sees
Linda.

Susie (speaking very loudly):  Hi, Linda! Hows it going?

Linda (turns to Susie) Hi, Susie! Im good, how are you?

FRED enters

Susie: Im great! (recognizes Fred) Oh look, theres Fred!

Fred: Hey, you two! Long time no see!

 Linda: Thats for sure! Say, what are you doing this weekend?

Fred: Why, Im going to the STREET THEATER FESTIVAL, of course!

Susie and Linda turn to each other, exchange confused glances, and look
back at Fred.

Susie and Linda together: STREET THEATER FESTIVAL? Whats that?

Fred (incredulous look on his face) You mean you HAVENT heard about the
STREET THEATER FESTIVAL? (slaps forehead) Geeez! WELL, theres going to be
music, and food, and games, and a raffle, and local artists selling
things, and all sorts of entertainment! (rubbing hands together?)  Its
going to be so much fun!

Susie (holding hand to ear) WHAT kinds of entertainment?

Fred (counting on fingers) there will be juggling, and librarians telling
stories, and a vaudeville show, and a commedia show  commedia is an old
form of humorous Italian street theater  all performances that are
traditionally done in the streets! The idea is to get people OUT of their
houses and into a common space where they can enjoy these old kinds of
theater, which are often neglected today!

Linda: Wow, that sounds exciting! Where is this all happening?

Fred (exaggerated gestures, enunciates every word very clearly and
carefully): Its all happening on Main St. in Downtown Urbana, between Race
and Broadway, the afternoon of  August 4th!

Susie: Thats next Saturday!

Yes! Vendors start selling at 11, and the performances start at noon. And
then they go alllllllllllllll the way till 5 oclock!
Linda: that sounds awesome! Ill be there!

Fred : AND, the money made from the raffle and the games and food goes to
benefit the Prompting Theater, which is a performance troupe in Champaign
comprised of adults with developmental disabilities who write and perform
shows! Theyll be performing at the Street Theater Festival. So your money
is going to a good cause!

Linda and Susie: Wow!  See you there!

List of places to perform:

Strawberry Fields cafe
Cinema Cafe (inside and outside)
Sandwich Boy
Sweet Betsy's
Green Street Coffeehouse
Bread Company
Espresso Royale
Red Herring
Lincoln Square (by Art Mart)
Lincoln Square (in eating area by Jumers)
the Highdive (night of the "public i" debut)
MTD bus (on the way to Sweet Betsy's and to Champaign)
Main St. Cafe (Urbana)
JimmyJohns
Panera
Quad
Illinois Terminal (to all the people waiting for the bus)