[Newspoetry] big green fib

nicolle neulist ahcopter at midway.uchicago.edu
Tue Mar 13 12:24:45 CST 2001

big green fib

they say dow plummeted today
they say nasdaq hit and two and a half year low today
they feed us numbers that provide no nutrition
and expect us to starve like bill gates who lost a paltry million (or
        billion?  who's counting?) on paper

who with a mind can be easily surprised
when ninety-eight percent of money in "world trade" goes to mere
        currency speculation
when upstart fat cats figure out that emptypockets.com is just
        that--empty--and won't fill their pockets as was promised a
        short year or two ago
when the creative mathematics of george w. bush prevail: who else but
        he could significantly lower the tax burden of every [rich
        white christian male] citizen in america while boosting the
        coffers of every popular government program

they taught me when i was a child that what goes around comes around
and when i told a lie it would blow up in my face
the deflated debris from this particular implosion is too weak to
        faze them
and i may have to write this same poem again in a month or
	two

--nicky neulist