[Newspoetry] politics of grammar...

Ranjan Banerji rbanerji at pobox.com
Wed Mar 28 13:16:17 CST 2001

>BREAKING NEWS from CNN.com
>
>-- The West Bank city of Ramallah was hit by fire from Israeli helicopter
>gunships, Israel TV reports.
>
>For complete coverage of this story visit:
>http://www.CNN.com

Jerusalem (NPN) -- Tragedy struck in Palestine today, as the city of
Ramallah recovers from its accidental injury from rockets and other live
munitions fired from Israeli helicopter gunships firing at an random patch
of earth -- chosen specifically for its visible lack of Israelis -- a patch
of earth unfortunately also occupied by the largely Palestinian city.

"We were just here, as we have been every day, minding our own business,
occasionally complaining about the fact that the Israelis are becoming
particularly annoying about not wanting us here, when BOOM!"  Sheikh Ali
bin Deredundat is still surprised.  "It's getting so it's not safe to be a
Palestinian city in contested Israeli territory when hawks have overrun the
Knesset anymore."

Israeli officials were quick to point out that they did not fire *at* the
city, but rather that in the innocent and harmless act of firing live
rounds at unarmed Palestinians, the city of Ramallah was tragically caught
in the crossfire.  "We have no control over these things; we were simply
polishing the helicopters, and they went off," says a highly-placed Israeli
Defense Force official.  "Ah, such is the cruel and chaotic calculus of our
meaningless pitiful lives.  Of course, we would be remiss not to point out
that this senseless violence would not have happened if only Ramallah had
not been built where it is, but then when one polishes helicopter gunships,
accidents can happen."

Jewish settlements are by design impervious to the lethal whimsy of the
helicopter-borne Stinger and Hellfire missile systems.  The helicopter
gunships are usually only used for parades and to carry advertising banners
over festivals.  Common slogans for these banners include "BUY ISRAELI" and
"PALESTINIANS GO HO...WELL, JUST GO SOMEWHERE."

---
"want to be the hunter again            Ranjan Banerji
want to see the world alone again       Luminary, Sage, and
to take a chance on life again" Thinking Person
                         -Dido           rbanerji at pobox.com