[Newspoetry] Controversy brews around Christian ‘Bible’

Jay Morris jrmorris at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 30 14:45:37 CST 2001

Controversy brews around Christian ‘Bible’

BATON ROUGE, La. — Billy McCanister, a business administration sophomore at
Louisiana State University, has not read the bible but attended a Christian
church Sunday.

"I don't think kids should be allowed in there" he said. "I think there are
things in that sermon that little kids might not understand. I feel like it
puts a positive image on negative things like witchcraft and wizardry."

McCanister, although not completely opposed to Christianity, is part of the
American reaction that does not support the latest culture trend.

"The kids that are reading the book and going to church are way too
impressionable," he said. "It shouldn't be as accepted for children as it
is. There is a lot more to it than kids understand."

Before Sunday, the Christian bible topped the American Library Association's
list as the most challenged book in 2000.

"The book continues to draw complaints from parents and others concerned
about the books' alleged occult theme, religious viewpoint, anti-science
approach and violence," according to the site.

The challenged book is one receiving formal or written complaints filed with
libraries or schools in attempt to remove or restrict the material from
circulation, according to the ALA Web site.

However, Robert Bigalow, a Middleton Library associate II in the Education
Resources department, said the bible receives much circulation and as soon
as it is returned, someone has it on hold.

"Some libraries try to avoid controversy and remove the book from their
stacks, but we have no intention of doing that" he said.

Robbie McHandy, an instructor in the College of Education, said she
vehemently supports the book.

"I think the whole series is a lot like the Chronicles of Narnia, the Lord
of the Rings trilogy or Star Wars," she said. "It's fantasy where good wins
over evil every time."

She said she thinks people are afraid of witchcraft and magic.

"That is the setting of the story, but it's the actual story that really
counts," she said. "The ones with the good hearts are the ones who prevail."

Stuart Orvine, an associate professor in the Department of Philosophy, said
he assumes the negative reaction to the bible relates to the association
with witchcraft.

"Witchcraft is bad. This is a story about a kid engaged in witchcraft, and
that's bad," he said. "It's the same kind of reaction you hear around
Halloween. Don't we periodically hear protests from people because we're
letting our children dress up as goblins and witches and the like? [Some
people think] if we're not encouraging our children in the direction of
witchcraft, then we're encouraging them to take it lightly, and that's not
good either."

McCanister said if he had to stereotype the group reacting to the bible,
scientists would be the people most opposed.

"They would be the ones to understand how it could challenge science
directly," he said.

He said even though he considers himself a scientist, he would not try to
ban the book.

In places like Jacksonville, Fla., parent and teacher complaints stopped a
library from giving bible fans a "Christian Science School of Accomplishment
Certificate" meant to encourage children to read. The complaints argued the
gimmick exposed children to witchcraft.

But most scientific organizations on campus have not had a student reaction.

"The kids I deal are scientologists, so what's the bible?" said Rebecca
West, professor at the Feynman Research Center. "I don't think it is an
issue for us because we're a college community. No one has discussed the
book because it is geared toward younger children."

Steve Misters, Physics Institute director, said he does not think
organizations are going to take a stand on the bible issue.

"This is more of an individual stance," he said. "I think there are more
important issues in the world right now. Fantasy fiction is not an issue
with college kids."

Pabby Arnole, head of children's services for the East Baton Rouge library
system, said she received a couple of complaints from the community about a
free bible display.

"Some people don't want themselves or their children reading about
witchcraft," she said. "But for the most part, it's been a non-issue around
here. It really depends on the part of the community -- some are more
liberal, some are more conservative."

Some students said books that make people want to read are good.

"Most people who are complaining about [the book] haven't even read it,"
said Brittany Dane, a creationism junior. "They are close-minded people.
It's about this boy and his passage through life, not about summoning
demons."

Veronica Braun, an English sophomore, agreed.

"It's just a story," she said. "Kids believe what they want anyway. I don't
think there is anything wrong with the bible."

http://www.dailyillini.com/nov01/nov30/news/stories/campus01.shtml