[Newspoetry] from the air

Joe Futrelle futrelle at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Thu Oct 4 01:58:47 CDT 2001

The newspoetry laptop was carefully examined and X-rayed.  Arriving
two hours early at Willard gave me time to really contemplate the
enormous Larry Kanfer print of barns in the snow while I enjoyed a
club sandwich and tried to ignore As The World Turns.

O'hare was sedate. As I walked past the security checkpoint I could
see lines of people stretching away forever.  A secuity agent with a
wireless laptop lingered nearby.

The 3:11 from Chicago to San Fransisco was, eerily, about half empty.
I was honestly delighted to have a row of seats to myself, and shifted
to the window for the gentle touchdown over the bay at sunset, low
clouds masking the Golden Gate.  That a 757 can alight with such grace
today is no small blessing.

editor-yet-chief
Newspoetry dot com