[Newspoetry] Quote of the Week

Nick Berveiler naberve at ilstu.edu
Fri Oct 5 02:08:45 CDT 2001

FLA Quote of the Week

“We will encourage private companies to set standards, as the Fair Labor
Association coalition has done in the apparel trade
Let’s be honest:
Economic growth, openness, and the exchange of experience exactly the
benefits we promote through trade and investment are instrumental to
achieving better environmental, social and health conditions internationally.

--Robert B. Zoellick
United States Trade Representative
September 24, 2001

This has confirmed my suspicion. I had a feeling that the FLA is run
entirely by republicans and I'm certain of it now although I don't think it
has ever really been discussed here. Maybe we should learn to adopt their
language a little bit although I don't think I'm interested in learning how
to speak half-truths. I have trouble believing that we are somehow on the
same page as the far right.

Here is my quote of the week:

After I described how at Illinois State University, students involved in
anti-sweatshop campaigns have met resistance within the Walt Disney World
College Alumni Association, Charles Kernaghan's remark on the conference call:

"We'll have to smoke them out of their holes"