[Newspoetry] U.S. poet laureate invokes troubling metaphor

John gavroche at gavroche.org
Wed Sep 12 06:25:24 CDT 2001

I think I will focus on a miniscule side-issue to take my mind off the
larger issues momentarily...

A good analogy in my opinion must:
1) Refer to something necessarily violent
2) Refer to something that can (god forbid) happen again
3) Refer to something that can in no way be desirable

"circumcized" can be argued to fit #1, but many will disagree, and it
doesn't fit #2 or #3.  (unless, see last paragraph)

"losing virginity" really means "having sex for the first time" so it fits
#2 but not #3, and not #1   (unless it is done wrongly, but it doesn't have
to be)

I suggest one's first black eye.  It meets all three.  It's not sexual, but
who needs sex?  (rhetorical question, please, no hand-raising.)

And for the record: neither losing one's virginity or circumcision is
gender-specific.  Female circumcision even meets requirements #1 and #3,
with no arguments from this quarter.