[Newspoetry] Re: [etc] gaining a little coherence...

Daniel Brown daniel at bigbrother.net
Thu Sep 13 03:02:29 CDT 2001

RJ,

*hug*

First of all, as sad as this makes me, I think you're right to be cautious.=
=20
There are idiots out there who are striking out against americans of arab
descent, and those very same people aren't likely to stop and make certain
that they even have the right ethnicity.  So, a couple pieces of advice:

You dress like an American.  Continue to do so.  If you find yourself=20
feeling uneasy in a certain crowd of people, try to talk - in many ways,
I've always found you to have the best of American speech patterns, both in
word choice and in accent.  Try not to wander out of largish crowds. =20
Leave your cell phone on, and if trouble strikes, call 911 - most cell
phones can do this merely by holding down the 9 key for 3 seconds.  Beyond
that, use your survival skills, both in avoiding and handling problems - I=
=20
know you have some.

Secondly, I just feel that I need to say something that your message has
done for me.  You just killed my bloodlust.  I've been warring with myself,
part of me wanting to see a quick and deadly reprisal to this attack, part
me realizing that any standard miltary attack will hurt more innocents than
anything else.  My personal war is over.  I want to see the individuals
responsible brought to justice, but not at the cost of more innocents.  I
guess it's pretty sad that it took seeing one of my close friends as
a possible casualty of the fallout to do this, but at least I'm there.

Finally, I feel a need to point something out.  While the war is still
being waged, make not mistake that this battle was a complete victory for
the terrorists.  Not only have they killed countless people, but every
known secondary goal has been acheived as well - the markets are closed
until friday, possibly monday, the US practically shut down for an entire
day, the US is still running in a very limited capacity only.  And worst of
all - it has turned Americans (only some, but that's all that's needed)
against themselves.

People, let's not give them any more victories if we can.

-d

P.S. RJ - I'm out of town today (which is why I'm up at this ungodly hour,
about to leave - have to drive, you know), but if you need to talk,=20
I'll be home late tonight.

On Wed, 12 Sep 2001, Ranjan Banerji wrote:

> Brothers and sisters,
>=20
> I'm in shock.  I went to the gym today and couldn't concentrate, constant=
ly
> looking over my shoulder, waiting for someone to decide that the color of=
 my
> skin was something that reminded them of the people we're being told brou=
ght
> death and destruction to New York City and Washington, DC.  I tried
> concentrating, tried thinking just about my breathing, and then slowly be=
gan
> to fail.  I turned down, then off, my CD player, and then just stopped.  =
And