[Newspoetry] RE: FOR NATURE AGAINST UNNATURAL DEATH

Donald L Emerick emerick at chorus.net
Fri Apr 5 15:27:16 CST 2002

Dear Editors:

I'd criticize Emerick for saying what he said in the way that he said it, but -- prophetically, fortunately -- I don't have to issue a verdict against him, to think of those charges to which his conduct succumbs by its conspiratorial tones of guilt by association -- guilded associative orderings of some baroque thinking as almost ornate, almost irate peroration.

Instead, I'd point to him a text that was said of him shortly after he was born, even if he could not then know the meaning of the insulting truth described of him, anonymously, by Heidegger, who knew he was there, even when he did not know who he was, there -- and who knew what he was going to think before he had thought it, or thought to say it.

Said text says, sadly: "My most important observation is that the young people apparently lack any sense and any preparation for ... methodical way[s] of thinking.  Opinions, incidental bits of information, and arbitrary ideas are expressed and played off against each other." (Zollikon Seminars, p. 304 -- p241 in 2001 translation published by NorthWestern University, courtesy of Franz Mayr and Richard Askay, after text edited by Medard Boss, 1987.)

Thanks for listening, anyway,
To this too solemn reminder,
Donald L Emerick