[Newspoetry] "Screams"

Matt McLaughlin mmcl at erols.com
Sun Apr 7 01:14:08 CST 2002

-Screams-

Rally round the ruins of this empty dream

Focus not on those who plot and scheme

Ignore the brown innocent who die and scream

A million faceless nothing to our crop's cream

Chorus:

Afghanistan burns

Iraq festers

Palestine boils

America smiles

So dawn your ignorant fucking rage

Upon those who we were the first to engage

Burn everything dangerous every single page

And embrace the genocidal war we wage

Don't you hear the screams?

I feel them blaring in my head

Do you feel the penetration of the rape

Blood from the lynching has stained our hands red

No I won't ignore it

Apathy is the soil of all that kills

Because I'm unswayed by the jeers of the ignorant

And I fear for those innocents in the mountains and hills

Our rulers started this before our births

Because we adopted the tradition of empire

Because we see the world as a concubine

And we'll bang it 'til we tire

Agents of our evil allied with those who fit our needs

Servants of the imperial greed

Soldiers of fortune off the edge they lead

Breaking the skin of justice, making it bleed

Smell the smoke in the international breeze

See the flames a dozen times over the horizon

Hear the bombs over the mountains and across the sea

Ignore the screams because it is no tragedy

Watch the beatings in the streets in disbelief

Be blind to your freedoms stolen by the fascist thief

Spend your life spending your blood you sweat your tears you life

The bigger the smile, the sharper the knife

Appalling truths torn from the wall

"Post no bills," more rights fall

"Speak no ills" says the new patriotism

Just become a vagrant mind in the mainstream pollution

The Patriotic freedom fighters fighting the good fight

Pressing the button, the mud villages ignite

All in the name of God and country and justice

For a buck a gallon they make accomplices of us

Bulldozers and tanks

Rumble the ground

Dignity and justice

Nowhere to be found

Numbers inscribed on the arms

Foreshadowing tradition

Walls rise all around

Some whisper, some scream "revolution"

Several reported at a time

But never said in mass

The graffiti is the book

It contains what must pass

The new ghettos in place

Concentration camps ever-so humane

An eye for an eye

Making all blind with hate and pain

The mission

To obscure into oblivion

To silently and slowly

Kill the faceless millions

With the blessing of the evil empire

Rocks are met with bullets

The worst is yet to come

The Zionazis control it

The despot in the desert wallows in his palace

His slaves kept in line by his supposed enemy

The Great Satan keeps him in power to its convenience

United, the region is imprisoned in infamy

The vile black gold runs in the veins of evil

Trapped in the luxurious stalemate

Value of life nonexistent

Festering and brewing the ineffable hate