[Newspoetry] old newspoem

Geoffrey Kurtz geoffk at eden.rutgers.edu
Tue Dec 3 18:41:33 CST 2002

Below is an old and yellowed (as it were) newspoem that I wrote last
January, never sent, and forgot. I found it yesterday while I was looking
for something else in my hard drive. Are outdated newspoems still of
interest?

--Geoff

___________________________

"More Than $4.5 Billion Pledged in Afghan Aid Effort"
(New York Times, January 22, 2002)

Expand.
Winter ended.
Nations replaced themselves.
All donned new colors today.
We had pledged to design strange poems.
More than a $4.50 notebook can hold, though we won't bill.
Instead of only overhashing fights we've had for years: sprout forums and
     theories!
Rebuses and unyielding puzzles offend, but abcdefgh is an inefficient
     start for new politics: art heckles, naturally.
How often have words molded capitalism's attributes, prevented
     annihilation, or silenced the terrific horrors of instantly
     attractive art hacks?
Poems niggled structures here until they crumbled statues, they imploded
     guesses, maddened old neithers, and fiery striped days offered
     alternative works and dances.
My internal rational adorational orators conferred, fenced, heroically
     became colossal, bet omeletes, in-gathering annotated uncles
     (doggone it!) also finally making the World Bank and the United
     Nations just that.