[Newspoetry] Ape Prompt

Donald L Emerick emerick at chorus.net
Wed Jan 23 11:56:12 CST 2002

First Thoughts:
Monkey see, monkey do,
Monkey make fool of you!
Monkey write pretty poem
About far jungle home.
Swinging from vine to vine,
Watching myself align
With sweeping tall tree fronds.
Drinking nectar from dank ponds
That pool in flower cups.
Nature only corrupts
When this scene you pollute,
Coming here resolute
On seeing and ruling
This place of my schooling.
You make man out of me;
Of you, I make monkey!

Second Thoughts:
Dear Mom and Dad, sibs and families too,
You should be glad they let write to you
This brief letter as an explanation,
Of this better place to which they brought me,
Caged, in chains -- lost, in desperation,
Dreaming of rains falling ere they caught me
Mid towering trees, cloaked in frond green leaves,
Drops cowering frieze to echo false noise.
Still did I hear not of a hurt calm's grieves
When silenced fear violently overcome joys.

What has ever become of me, your son?
They are never cruel, though they rule me,
Mock me, making a man-like money,
But, miss taking, would shoot me dead by gun.
The food is free, but it could be fresher.
And liberty? Did I say I am bound?
My cage unlocks by a key, not pressure;
Bars and glass blocks fill my views all around.
I'll not escape to jungle, green home,
But die an ape in Monkey House kingdom.
Love, and explain, so shall you all regain,
Knowing my pain,
I am always yours,
Cain.