[Newspoetry] newspoetry movie review: minority report

Editor-Within-Chief futrelle at shout.net
Thu Jul 4 12:26:03 CDT 2002

Hear hear, and there are some fabulous (if I do say so myself) precedents:

Movie review: http://www.newspoetry.com/2001/0213.html
Sports: http://www.newspoetry.com/2002/0304.html
Advertisement: http://www.newspoetry.com/2001/0103.html
Style: http://www.newspoetry.com/2001/0113.html
Obituary: http://www.newspoetry.com/2001/0526.html
Photo-essay: http://www.newspoetry.com/2001/0913.html
Poll: http://www.newspoetry.com/2001/0203.html
Arts: http://www.newspoetry.com/2001/0207.html
Weather: http://www.newspoetry.com/2002/0526.html
Advice: http://www.newspoetry.com/2000/0928.html
Bridge: http://www.newspoetry.com/2000/0905.html
Info-graphic: http://www.newspoetry.com/2000/0128.html
Interview: http://www.newspoetry.com/2000/0815.html
Lottery numbers: http://www.newspoetry.com/2000/0511.html
Consumer report: http://www.newspoetry.com/2000/1002.html
Restaurant review: http://www.newspoetry.com/2000/0318.html
Architecture: http://www.newspoetry.com/2000/0611.html
Word find: http://www.newspoetry.com/2000/1021.html

At 10:35 PM 7/3/2002 -0700, Chris Piuma wrote:
>I have long wanted Newspoetry.com to branch into full-fledged "sections"
>instead of the pure "front page" feel it has now. Where are the restaurant
>reviews, the interviews, the sports reports, the classifieds? The local
>interest? The columnist who drones on about cats or the local rich folk?
>
>For the love of pete, where are the comix?
>
>Anyway, some of these sections have been touched on in the past, but if
>our nation's newspapers tell us there is more to news than the headlines,
>then I for one am ready to believe them. And even though a review of
>_Minority Report_ could hardly be considered lacking in headline content
>(as anyone who read's the blog at www.thismodernworld.com knows), it
>nevertheless gets this intrepid reporter's two thumbs up -- way up!
>
>--
>Chris Piuma, etc.
>http://www.flim.com
>http://www.theminorthirds.com
>

>Editor-Within-Chief showed great grace and sensitivity to write on 02.07.04:
>
>>Precognition is what science fiction plays at, but in _Minority Report_,
>>it can get you arrested.  You know the plot: the department of "precrime"
>>detains murderers-to-be on the basis of the predictions of
>>psychically-gifted "precogs".  Precrime's prompt arrests have flatlined
>>the murder rate, but the system's legitimacy rests on the infallibility
>>of the precogs, who after all, are as human as the public who has traded
>>their free will for security.  Or so they think: the system also makes it
>>possible to frame people for murders they have yet to commit.  Maybe John
>>Ashcroft has been reading Phillip K. Dick?
>>
>>The film is a grainy and washed out quasi-noir, and sets are cluttered
>>and hazy.  The plot is complicated, so the screenwriters expose it
>>through dialogue (for example, at one point, Cruise asks another
>>character "you see the dilemma, don't you?", then proceeds to explain the
>>dilemma).  Just grit your teeth and remember, it's a movie of ideas as
>>well as a summer blockbuster, and unlike _Blade Runner_, we're not going
>>to get a better cut.  And sorry, there are no cute aliens.  That's in
>>theater 8, to your left.
>>

>>--
>>Joe Futrelle
>>editor-within-chief