[Newspoetry] poetry APB

Newton Bigelow nbigelow at albawaba.com
Fri Jul 12 18:22:34 CDT 2002

Good afternoon Newspoets,

Regarding the Running of the Bulls in Pamplona, I was most certainly NOT there.  This yearly insanity is the biggest international yahoo-fest they have in this country.  People come from all over the world to get drunk, eat sausage, and antagonize enormous horned animals who would rather be doing just about anything besides charging through cramped city streets.  The only satisfying part of this psychotic tradition is being able to say 'I told you so' to anyone who actually gets injured.

It also attracts a disproportionate number of Americans, of exactly the sort I came here to get away from.  Call it my archaic sense of Southern gentility, but I can't stand to see my fellow countrymen behaving in such an undignified manner.  When I was growing up, we didn't use our animals for this kind of 'sport'.  Now mind you, I did have an uncle who bred roosters for cockfighting, but that's another story...

Spain is a wonderful country, with many proud and bizarre traditions, like the Mackeral-fest and herding sheep throught the middle of the capitol city, but when it comes to the Running of the Bulls, I have to differ with my hosts.  I don't see how provoking a dangerous and unpredictable situation, then plopping yourself smack dab in the middle of it deserves to be called anything but reckless buffoonery.

... or, come to think of it, US foreign policy.

Best regards,

Newton

Quoting Editor-Within-Chief :