[Newspoetry] Please share the words of "The Pledge" with your readers!

DonPedroCookies at aol.com DonPedroCookies at aol.com
Wed Jun 19 08:54:02 CDT 2002

Please help me share the message of "The Pledge" with our children and youth.
We also have a Spanish version (La Promesa). The Pledge was approved by the
NYC Board of Education. Alberto O. Cappas, Author. The Pledge/La Promesa.

The Pledge
(Dedicated to our Children and Youth)
By Alberto O. Cappas
I pledge to maintain
A healthy mind and body,
staying away from the evil of drugs.
I pledge always to try my best to understand
the importance of knowledge and education,
painting a positive picture of where
I plan to be tomorrow,
not allowing obstacles to stop the growth
of my plans for the future.
I pledge to seek answers to questions,
understanding that the answers to questions
sometimes lead to other discoveries.
I pledge to work hard,
with the awareness and confidence
that hard work today will serve
as the seeds for my strong tree tomorrow,
a tree no one will ever be able to tear down.
I pledge to learn proper languages,

beginning with my mother’s,
always prepared to appreciate others.
I pledge to gain a better understanding
of myself,
by understanding my cultural roots,
to fully accept who I am as a human being,
a rainbow of many cultures and colors.
I pledge to overcome any personal misfortunes,
always striving to become
A wiser person.

"The Pledge: Dedicated to our children and Youth", by  Alberto O Cappas,
released in 2001.  The Book, based on the poem, The Pledge by the same
author, is a small, pocket size, 24 page publication, dedicated to children
and youth, especially students enrolled in the inner city public school.
This book is retailed at $5.00, but if order here, take $2.00 off .  To place
an early  order, send $3.00, payable to Alberto  O. Cappas, 85 4th  Avenue,
Suite 3JJ. New York, New York  10003, Attn. AOC/The Pledge.
         Bio: Alberto O Cappas: a graduate of the SUNY @ Buffalo. He has been
widely published in magazines, journals and is the author of several
collection of poems, including "Dona Julia."