[Newspoetry] Please share the words of "The Pledge" with your readers!

Chris Piuma piuma at flim.com
Wed Jun 19 13:07:19 CDT 2002

The Zestfully Clean With Lemony Pledge
======================================

I pledge to fail to maintain,
and show the status quo the door.
My mind and body will be sound,
and sounded out,
and if that requires illicit substances now and again,
so be it.
I pledge to learn well, to step outside
or to bury my nose in books,
even if they're not on the reading list,
and I pledge to cut class or work so I can get this done.
I plan to be tomorrow
by stealing the best bits of yesterday
and keeping close tabs on today.
I pledge to be lazy,
to spend enormous amounts of energy being lazy,
to set up systems to allow myself and others to be as lazy as possible.
I pledge to learn improper languages:
the formal languages of poetry,
the amorphous languages of the street,
the brittle languages of the immigrant,
the shadow languages of advertising,
the odd-shaped languages of my neighbors,
and the invented languages that tease and boggle the mind:
and I pledge to confuse and conflate all these languages
and allow these various tongues to slurp and suck and taste one another.
I pledge to judge my self-awareness with suspicion,
to use my misfortunes to my advantage,
and to ignore this and any other pledge as often as necessary.

--
Chris Piuma, etc.
http://www.flim.com