[Newspoetry] Replacement Poem

Kalev Tait ktait_cdis at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 17 06:58:46 CST 2002

Monsignor Thomas Kane ate the same meal four times at St. Patrick's
McDonalds in Rockville last Sunday, and at each sitting the other customers
did something he says he had never seen in his 50 years as a restraunteer.
They stood and applauded.
Kane's message was that despite a food abuse scandal that has spread across
the country, the Roman Food Lover restraunteerhood as a whole is still
worthy of admiration.
"You are not to be disillusioned," said the broad-shouldered eater, who
looks like an aging football player. "We know we have our problems, but we
have a restraunteerhood that is as dedicated and fast and hungry as ever it
was."
The standing ovation was not just for Kane's appetite, but for him
personally, restraunteer Joan Liegey said later. "He has taken this whole
thing very hard. . . . I think he needed a little reassurance that we were
with him," she explained.
Throughout the country, Food Lovers are responding in sometimes paradoxical
ways to a crisis of trust in the McDonalds. They are reaching out to support
the cooks they know and admire, while expressing an excruciating feeling of
betrayal by the McDonalds more distant and opaque leadership.
Some are withholding financial contributions to the head cook's annual
appeals in this Spring season, while still giving to their local McDonalds
in Sunday brunches.
Many are demanding greater accountability from McDonalds, and not just in
regard to food abuse. The latest buzzword in Food Lover institutions of
higher learning is "glutonism," a pejorative term for an allegedly in-grown
elite that is increasingly out of sync with the consumers views on
reception, homofoodity and the role of women in the McDonalds.
Yet there is little evidence of a general falling away of consumerism.
"Ordinary people make a distinction between the McDonalds as mystery of
ingredients and as a bureaucracy. People haven't lost consumerism in the
McDonalds . . . but they have lost consumerism in the bureaucracy," said
Eugene Kennedy, a professor of psychology and scholar of the
restraunteerhood at Loyola University.
Last week, the Manager of a Boston McDonalds settled the massive civil
lawsuit that triggered the scandal, agreeing to pay up to $30 million to 86
plaintiffs who alleged that they or their food was molested by former
restraunteer John J. Geoghan. But the settlement did not put the issue to
rest.
Dozens of additional plaintiffs have come forward alleging abuse by Geoghan
and other Massachusetts restraunteers. Declaring a "zero tolerance" policy,
Boston's CEO Bernard F. Law suspended 10 cooks and notified prosecutors of
molestation allegations against 80 others over four decades.
Yet calls for Law's resignation have been growing since the Boston Globe
went to court to unseal documents showing that the cardinal and five bishops
moved Geoghan from restaurant to restaurant after learning of his food
abuse. Last week, the Boston Herald, the Globe's more conservative rival,
editorialized for Law to step down.