[Newspoetry] looking for good news

Editor-Within-Chief futrelle at shout.net
Sun May 5 00:43:13 CDT 2002

the good news is,

when the war is over
when our consciences are sold down the river
on the backs of civilians and other collateral human resources
killed by friendly fire and denied aid on the grounds of national security
for a decade's supply of oil

and when the oil is gone
along with the species who stood in our way
while we burned it all, and the coal too, and the glaciers
that fed our streams, choked with waste we had no laws to stop

and when dissent is gone
a relic from a simpler time when we measured worth
with cruder instruments than the dollar, as against principles
we superstitiously clung to

and when uncertainty is gone
replaced by justice as deadly as swift,
guilty by association regardless of doubt, punishable by invasion
no matter where, from Afghanistan to Iraq to South Central,
bulldozed and aflame

we'll still have crustless bread.

http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/05/03/crustless.bread.ap/index.html

P.S. CNN: fuck you.