[Newspoetry] Food industry creates 'scientist' with no scruples

Jay Morris jrmorris at hotmail.com
Tue May 21 18:00:31 CDT 2002

Food industry creates 'scientist' with no scruples

A new breed of unethical 'scientist', created by the food industry in its
search for ever faster technology development has angered many actual
scientists.

Despite its high cost, the new researcher could become a market favorite
because it is designed to create short-term solutions for superficial
problems.  The new breed of researcher also blurs lines of responsibility by
happily moving from job to job according to market fluctuations.

The new, genetically-modified breed was reared by genetics experts at
Monsanto.  They said it would work even faster in countries with hot weather
because they tend not to have laws against the kinds of research projects
this breed tends toward.

They said: "That's why we do a lot of our research in third world countries,
and also why those countries have higher rates of strange diseases"

Monsanto experts claim the new researchers produce faster results and are
healthier for the market, since they are practically disposable.

They said: "Ethics are a waste.  Normal scientists are using our time and
money to debate issues that we eventually buy away in congress anyway."

The scientific community condemned the plan.

Richard Feynman said: "This is industry messing with our science again just
to make more money.  I think it will have a traumatic effect on research
labs and education will plummet further."

Ralph Nader of the Green Party, said: "Isn't this the same monster I fought
in the automotive industry?"

http://www.thisislondon.com/dynamic/news/story.html?in_review_id=590366&in_r
eview_text_id=558671