[Newspoetry] Inevitable as Evolution

Donald L Emerick emerick at chorus.net
Tue Oct 8 17:07:43 CDT 2002

Inevitable as Evolution
(On reading some recent book reviews of recent evolutionary thought)

My Faithless Friends:

Punctuated evolution is our only hope of redemption and salvation,
but you have to believe that the species does not change easily,
that it always holds itself back by the weight of its prior successes,
which inertial force may be overcome only from emergent encounters
with other rising species who come to compete for the same ground,
or with other rising stars in same species that compete for a nest-mate.

That is what the Book of Darwin says to explain refinements of being
by laws of successive differences, improbably transmitted by genes:
there is nothing that thinking would be able to do to alter gene pools,
because there has never been, in the history of evolution, thinking.

So, is it possible, my friends, that thinking may overcome evolution?

What does it mean, this idea of overcoming evolution as if it were fate?
Fate would be the sum total of all the causes that would happen anyway
unless something on the order of an accident were to intervene,
which event (as accident) is impossible, in any strict sense of the term,
because all events are causally connected all the way back to BigBang.

Even the mighty impact of a small meteor upon an inhabited planet
would be, within the scheme of determinism, a causally ordered event,
arriving at precisely a pre-timed moment when physics intersects biology,
a moment unavoidable in the long trail of dust, slime and mold in time.

So, I am amused by the twisted determinist logic of intelligent design,
as yet another attempt to prove that the natural needs supernatural being,
which restores the order of mythology, that all is as Gods mean it to be,
and that Man is powerless to design his own plan and to implement it.

For, what being aware of evolution means is to be aware of the rules,
that when you don't do any thinking ahead, then what follows is fate,
which is another word for God or for the phrase "too dumb to survive"
for if evolution has any logic to it, then thinking seems to be an apex,
which, for us ex-apes, is as high as we may climb up the tree of life.

The unthinking man -- or woman -- has a God, or two, or many more,
for gods may be counted as unexamined thoughts, beliefs and ideas,
and the less that one thinks, the more the number of gods you have.
Hence, among the ignorant, to look less stupid, it is said "One God"
and I do not know if this is because they could not count past one
or if they simple fail to make the distinctions which evolution requires.

They are too dumb to survive; yet, they go on breeding, endlessly.
Their children are as numerous as the grains of sand on a beach,
more numerous than stars shining coldly, carelessly down on us.

Sometime, I have to say, it's time to punctuate evolution, again.
It's time to think beyond the Is of all that will be as it must be,
and to think in terms of desire, of what is better than necessary,
even if  the new seeds that I plant take many long years to grow.

What is determined, my friends, is the inevitable as stupidity,
for that is what evolution comes to overcome, a fate of stupidity,
when we are too frightened, too horrified, too satisfied to think,
and thus too paralyzed in our wills to think out for our acting,
or for acting out after our thinking, falling back into determinism,
and becoming, thus, one with the other dull lumps of stupid clay.

And, thus, evolution -- once thinking arrives upon the scene of life,
no longer remains within the province of the determinably stupid,
as that which happens, repetitiously, over and over, indifferently,
or changes for reasons that have nothing to do with understanding.

And, thinking, has its locus and focus on two terms of argument,
that one thinks that it should be so and persuades an act to follow
which departs from the pattern of the inevitable, and probably fails,
if it happens to be, unintendedly, but merely a random mutation.

No seed is certified, in infinite random number machines, to grow,
which infinity and randomness is what deviations from patterns
always look like to those who are too stupid to follow an advance,
which advance, when it must be acknowledged, quite grudgingly,
by the stupid, they add to the glory of God, as one of Her ways.

I was going to talk in this note, I must admit, about Bush and Iraq,
but I shall rest content here with these assignable symbols of that,
for I have now explained what salvation and redemption could be.

Thanks for listening,
Donald L Emerick