[Newspoetry] Poem Entry.....

Catherine Sullivan snowcat521 at attbi.com
Mon Sep 9 16:21:53 CDT 2002

I wrote this in the style of "The Cremation of Sam Mcgee" and thanks to the deceased author Robert Service who sometimes used this cadence for a poem..... You can have it and I wish I had music as well but, I am a poet, not a lyricist.... :o)

There are strange things done under Bush's sun
Where greedy men moil for gold;
They have no care for the fetid air
Breathed by the young and old.

Because oil pollutes and cuthroat pursuits
Is all for the bottom line....
And the mansions built fosters no guilt
When explained as being "God's design".

They think that war is the way to keep score
As long as they get the big slice.
That an oil-slicked pool is more than cool
It's more than worth the price!

What's a dying child or masses beguiled
While taking nature's best?
Or if the ocean's deep is in permanent sleep
By black gum or poisened ghosts?

Who cares as long as they right that wrong
With thier noses and a thumb?
They can laugh with ease in the Bahama's breeze
And pray the press keeps mum

This poem is my two cent's worth which is obviously all I have....
Cat Sullivan
3705 NE 77th #2
Seattle, WA 98115
206-527-5266