[Newspoetry] past the giant squid

Donald L Emerick emerick at chorus.net
Sat Apr 12 13:23:23 CDT 2003

Did they wonder why Goths vandalized Rome?
or why the great library at Alexandria burned?
Did they tear down the Temple in Jerusalem, twice?
Do they whine of Taliban blowing up Buddhas?
<<for right wingers, this latter event was a two-edged treat...>>
Do they think how Berlin Wall fell to pieces, for sale?
or that temples and statuary of Egypt were defaced?
<<ending a tomb-building-robbing industrial complex?>>

Do they worry of pillage in Dixon Springs, Cahokia Mounds,
Cliff Dwellings or Indian sites, generally, in the Americas?
(Or the Waste Management desecration of the Mounds,
by construction of a neighboring huge Mount Trashmore?)

Destroying the remains and the remaining traces,
of previous inhabitants is a religious sacrament:
sacred to destroy holiness contrary to your worship.

Violence against the Other, in the name of another Other,
is essential to the quasi-religion of every cultural complex.

And, yet, they also decry the excesses of Revolutions,
which slaughtered the "nobility" of France and Russia,
which put to swords (enemies of) Maya, Aztec and Inca.

How curious that Parthenon, as structure, survived,
only to self-destruct in modern times when our idiots
used it as an armaments magazine until Oops blew it!

Only the Great Pyramids have truly lasted like mountains,
despite the ravages and the depradations, they did not fall,
not like the engineered modernities of those Twin Towers.

(Personally, before they fell, I had regarded those towers
as an ugly architectural change to New York City skylines,
which I thought were far more handsome to the eye before,
and, secretly in my heart, at times, rejoice at blight's removal,
though not in such a manner as I ever condone or approve.)

I would talk religiously, I guess, of wastes and waste lands,
of anal-retentive collective strikes that we call a feces war,
after the late monkeys of the Old St. Louis Zoo complex,
who delighted in counter-torturing gawking prison guests.
Shit can be readily turned into a weapon as into fertilizers,
it all happens in violent orgies Nietzsche reported possible.

thanks for listening,
Donald L Emerick

PS: Football would not be so popular
without a brown-ovular shit-substitute
to throw around, fight over, in a grass.