[Newspoetry] past the giant squid

William Gillespie gillespi at uiuc.edu
Fri Apr 11 15:04:19 CDT 2003

I was watching MFA students drink last night at Les' Lounge and above the
red pooltables the TV had CNN on and there was repeated footage of statues
of Saddam Hussein being toppled. I was wondering: if the Iraqis invaded
Urbana and the only way I could avoid being shot was by dancing in the
streets and pushing over a statue of Tod Satterthwaite, would I? I think I
probably would. But the propaganda effort here is remarkable. Check out
this deconstruction of the statue footage:

http://blog.kynn.com/shock/archive/000311.php