[Newspoetry] FW: The Poetry of D.H. Rumsfeld (fwd)

emerick at chorus.net emerick at chorus.net
Fri Dec 12 12:10:45 CST 2003

ReVenge?  (Why are no Venge's merely Venges?):

It's nice to find confirmation for my conjecture that Rumsfeld is an aspiring NewsPoet, because he seems to have no sense of what the truth might happen to be, and does not intend to be caught up in any debate about it, or the implications of it.  However, in that case, we need to amend the US Constitution to state that no NewsPoet may ever serve in any public office of trust, as it would compromise his (her) ethics, by appearing to have some vast responsibility for protecting truth and for respecting truth, as well.

A NewsPoet can not honestly do those public office things regarding truth, without demeaning and degrading NewsPoetry, itself.  The fact that Rumsfeld has continued with his whimsical NewsPoetry while in office, were there an amendment of the kind that I'd write, were I the Founding Father, would thus constitute impeachable offenses against the Constitution, and compel him to return to the inauspicious ranks of NewsPoets-at-large, where he most clearly belongs, and most desparately desires, latently (of course), to be.

Of course, as a Private Association -- as all association is and could only be about private matters while dissociation is only for public matters <<which explains the trait of lying that is both characteristic of and reprehensible in public officials, for we elect (name) people to office based upon their ability to lie, pleasingly and convincingly, to us>> -- NewsPoetry may choose to take away DHR's license, or else we might simply restrict his professional rights in the practice of NewsPoetry.  We could, for instance, force him to disclose when he is being NewsPoetic, as opposed to those occasions when he wishes to be truthful.

Indeed, as an offended member of this great Association, I think that our organization must undertake, quite regretably, to be sure, a Public Dis-DisInformation Campaign.  If we do not do that, the Public will have only as a low opinion of Newspoetry as it does of Public Officials, generally.  Or, we could say that it will have as high opinion of the one, as of the other, all else being equal, which rather levels the playing field -- or fails to make any critical distinction between one place and another.  Playing fields should be level when and only when the players are on the level.  That is, one side should not be struggling to get even with the other side, which is struggling to get or stay uneven.  Getting even is what revenge is about, just as venging is about getting uneven.  (Venging is my job, says every Lord.)

One of the elements of this proposed campaign would be the offering of a seminar for reporters attached to the Pentagon (but not involuntarily attached, I would note), so that they might have some idea of how to split the hairs (part the hairs? tear out the hair?) in the Bushite DHR's LoQuaCity.

I shall not rest, I shall not falter, I shall persist until we prevail, until we have restored the integrity of the wailing walls that once sternly separated the fictions NewsPoetry from the facts of News.  And, Vote for me, by the way, as (a) your favorite NewsPoet, (b) NewsPoetry International Association President (pain spelled backwards is what siderally collides our butts into buttheads), (c) America's Most Wanted <<Your Choice of Offices>>.  I shall not run if nominated, nor serve if elected, so you have nothing to fear, except my exofficious communiques -- but they will happen anyway, whether or not you vote for me.  And, that, I submit (but never yield) is the proposition for which I'd take a night stand: that NewsPoetry ought never to survive the light of day, the glare of publicity, or the belief that it is so right, truthful, sacred as ideal virtue.

Thanks for listening,
(and Thanks for sharing with us a few of DHR's NewsPoems),
Donald L Emerick