[Newspoetry] the letter of the law

Editor-Within-Chief futrelle at shout.net
Mon Jan 27 12:57:21 CST 2003

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/01/10/national/main536134.shtml

LONDON - It gives new meaning to the term "letter of the law."

A British police force announced Friday it has come up with a new
measure to combat crime - a polite letter asking persistent offenders
to mend their ways.

On Friday morning, 22 men and women in Wiltshire county, southern
England, received personal letters from Inspector Geoff Miles telling
them they have a choice - get back on the straight and narrow or be
targeted by police.

The letters were hand delivered to a group of repeat offenders who
have been convicted of offenses including burglary, violence and drug
and alcohol-related crime.

"I'm sure it will come as no surprise to you that, due to your
criminal activity, your name appears on the above data and has
highlighted you as a persistent offender," said the letters.

The letter helpfully suggests that the offender "make it a priority
in any New Year's resolutions you make from 2003 onwards, to cease
forthwith your criminal activities."

"Of course, I'm hoping they will say: 'You're absolutely right
officer, I will stop my criminal ways,'" Miles said. "But we are
being realistic. I'm sure some will be angry. These are career
criminals but we are career police officers. Sending these letters
will not do any harm."

--
The newspoetic possibilities here are really endless.

Editor-within-chief (of yore)
http://www.newspoetry.com/