[Newspoetry] There's a hole in my bucket, dear Liza, dear Liza...

emerick at chorus.net emerick at chorus.net
Wed Nov 12 15:53:43 CST 2003

> Date: 2003/11/12 Wed PM 12:32:31 CST
> Religion and Ethics Newsletter
> See http://www.pbs.org/religion.
> Illegal Immigration
> There are more than 8.5 million undocumented illegal aliens in the United
States and more enter every day. However, illegal immigration into the U.S. can
be deadly for some and miserable for many more. Those who survive the trip over
the border are often denied basic human and civil rights, including health care
and education. For those who get a job, the pay is often far less than promised
and some illegal immigrants fall prey to unscrupulous employers, receiving no
pay at all. Illegal immigration also raises concerns about whether undocumented
workers contribute more to the economy then they receive, and whether they take
jobs away from U.S. citizens.

> Saul Gonzalez explores the national debate over the burdens and benefits of
illegal immigration. Angelica Salas with the Coalition for Humane Immigrant
Rights in Los Angeles, observes, "We have a fundamental belief that an
individual has inalienable human rights and that those rights are not
diminished once they cross a border. There is a belief by the general populace
that the undocumented do not have rights. So, because of that situation, you
have employers who are more than willing to pay individuals less than minimum
wage, but unfortunately we see people who are not paid at all."
JUXTAPOSE TO THIS ARTICLE THE CLAIM BY TEAM BUSH THAT SYRIA AND IRAN AID AND
ABET THE "TERRORISTS" IN IRAQ ON THE GROUNDS THAT THE BORDERS ARE POROUS AND
PERMEABLE -- SO THAT, SO TEAM BUSH CLAIMS, MORE ENEMIES ARE SLIPPING IN
EVERYDAY...AND THUS TEAM BUSH RATTLES THE SABER, MAKING OCCASIONAL DEATH
THREATS AGAINST SYRIA AND IRAN...

FOR CHA-GRINS, I GUESS, ADD THE SAME RIDICULOUS CLAIM OF TEAM SHARON OF THE
SAME NATURE, WHICH "FACT" (ALSO UNILATEALLY DETERMINED, BY THE WAY) THEN
ALLEGEDLY GIVES ISRAEL A RIGHT TO DEFEND ITS SO-CALLED BORDERS BY PRE-EMPTIVE
ATTACKS UPON TARGETS IN OTHER COUNTRIES...

I GUESS, IF I APPLY THE STANDARD OF TEAM BUSH LOGIC TO THE SITUATION, I ONLY
HAVE TO ASK MYSELF HOW LONG BEFORE BUSH DECIDES TO BOMB AND INVADE MEXICO, ON
THE GROUND THAT SUCH ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS COULD SOMEDAY BECOME TERRORISTS...

COUNTRIES DO NOT OWN PEOPLE, LIKE CHATTELS; ALL PEOPLE SHOULD OTHERWISE BE
LEGALLY FREE TO MOVE FROM ANY ONE SPOT ON THE SURFACE OF THE EARTH TO ANY OTHER
SPOT ON THAT SURFACE, WHENEVER THEY PLEASE, AND TO STAY WHERE THEY PLEASE FOR
AS LONG AS THEY PLEASE -- AND THAT WOULD BE A FAR BETTER IMPLEMENTATION OF THE
FREE MOBILITY OF LABOR TO WHICH CAPITALISM ASPIRES -- FOR CAPITALISM OTHERWISE
RESPECTS NO OTHER LIMITS OF ANY KIND.

Thanks for listening,
Donald L Emerick