[Newspoetry] Philly Kerry Rally

William Gillespie william_gillespie at brown.edu
Sun Oct 3 21:13:17 CDT 2004

Newspoem 24 September 2004
In the baking asphalt
we stand in line with
college students of some leftward
bent. "Register to vote in
Pennsylvania?" "Dude! Go to
Iraq!" shouts a woman to anyone who seems to be endorsing the
opposition. Young, beautiful, shabbily-dressed, generally unathletic
pro-choicers, Democrats, potheads. & me & Scott, all of the above. I
have a bronchial infection. It might be the last warm day of the year.
Multitudes. The line barely moving, stretching endlessly ahead.
Redwhiteblue balloons hang above a park. Is there a sense of political
solidarity here? or more of a decisive splintering. Idealists and
opportunists alike work the crowd, accruing signatures, selling
buttons. WHEN CLINTON LIED, NOBODY DIED. Suddenly a flock of Bush
sycophants erupt in a chorus of "four more years." This is the site
then of ideological conflict. Or how ideological is it, really? But
what if something happens? In this trampled park, some conflagrations.
As I am admiring redwhiteblue balloons that seem somehow oppressively
spherical one of them pops and I stumble. U2 from PA. My main
motivation to jog is to practice running for my life. Did you ever want
to be pretty and right? A city crowds around this campus, a Sheraton
looming over these assembled young democrats. Many of us apparently
patient and content to be kept waiting.
Another balloon pops. Paul Wellstone.
Will I be able to see him when he speaks? Will the PA amplify his aura?
Bare shoulders and a camcorder. Should have worn my sandals. A person
has started speaking from an unseen podium, riling the crowd. From our
position the amplifier is followed a half-second later by an echo
rebounding from a college building. Unintelligible, invisible, the
ferocity of the oration is compelling but self-defeating given the
acoustics. Scott points out where to look to see the stage. "Go get me
bin Laden, if you don't already have him stashed away as an election
stunt." A repeated refrain is especially rhythmic with the
reverberation. "This election is about jobs." I want this election to
be about war, the next election about jobs. We work our way up through
Democratic elected officials as each says a few words. We reach
congress and finally we hear it: "cowboy diplomacy." The crowd goes
wild, and speaker is astute, continuing: "Iraqitize Iraq." John, not
Dick. Now the guy is campaigning. A mention of the NRA provokes booing.
A field of erect signs, a sense of being on TV, huge balloons lodged in
trees. Basic dignity for every person in America. Pro-choice, cheer,
pop. The heat is smothering. Sometimes I catch a glimpse of the stage.
39 days left.
Among the ideas taken as given by today's speakers:
1. The government should serve its constituency.
2. Dick Cheney is a profiteering war criminal.
3. Texas is a wasteland.
Words, not birds. Even a confusing syntax may provoke applause if
performed with precisely ascending emphasis. I am weak and sit. A field
of sneakers. When the bomb goes off the bodies of the undergraduates
will absorb its impact and I may be saved from blindness or
decapitation. But in the ensuing riot I will have to be prepared to
drag Scott to safety. A chord suggests it is almost Kerry's turn. What
if an American presidential candidate chose a mode of music other than
rock? Don't worry, be happy. What inexplicable thoughts lurk in the
skulls about? How inextricable is paranoia from the American mindset?
Fear of deprivation can suffice for progressive thought, fear of death
for an anti-war stance. Springsteen. A distant candidate rolls up
powder blue shirtsleeves, high-fives someone, waves. There he is: crux
of destiny? compromise? or a losing presidential candidate of
negligible historic consequence? He leans down and palms Democrats in
the inner ring. And still someone else's turn to speak. Metonymy: Kerry
will not go to Iraq without his friends and allies. It would have been
more truthful to say "Kerry will not go to Iraq." Will KErry save us,
making this notebook a historic document? Is the honey-voiced Edwards
up there somewhere? Will we be able to hear Kerry say a few words
before we get a parking ticket? Sitting sick in the grass in the hot
sun among students, I am falling asleep. Noise to signal ratio. Kerry
is for the middle class, the speaker says, Bush is for the upper class.
The lower class has been left out of the discussion. The language is
sick of me. Kerry is still gesticulating at the crowd and perhaps it is
a peace sign he holds up. From this distance I cannot tell.