[Newspoetry] gnatures spelled backwards, hebraically -- srtng

Donald L Emerick emerick at chorus.net
Fri Feb 18 01:55:21 CST 2005

Little noticed facts?

The esteemed Gillespie has long ago written some record breaking long piece that reads the same backwards as it does forwards.  Well, actually, it is spelled the same in both directions, from end to end -- ignoring small matters of white space and dark punctuation.  Just call out the letters.

I love such word games.  But, here is a variation on that theme.  I was looking at "swallows" and noticed that, but for the quirk of our established choice of spelling, it pretty "spells" the same in either direction.  Indeed, if English followed ancient Hebrew's practice of omitting the enunciatory vowel sounds, then we'd have had "swllws" and seen the symmetry that has been lost on us.

So, thinking like that, why not modify the rule, itself, about sensible spellings and word reversals?