[Newspoetry] ancient evenings in history news

DL Emerick emerick at chorus.net
Wed May 11 12:57:23 CDT 2005

The story of King Tut is not over yet.
See Washington Post (May 11 2005, A12):
A New Look at King Tut
Egyptian Pharaoh's Androgynous Features Noted by Teams Involved in Reconstruction
http://letters.washingtonpost.com/W4RH04D9C04F12BCBE17F3CE5A6140

Unlike almost all of the great figures of the Bible,
the real King Tut existed.  He wasn't some construct of quacking religious leaders, who needed lionized figures, and snaky villains, to form the proto-morality plays that the Bible collected, anagraphically.

Tutankhamen, pharaoh of Egypt's 18th dynasty, died around 1323 B.C. after a short and not particularly noteworthy career <<estimated age of 19 at death>>. His body was buried in a small tomb in Egypt's Valley of the Kings, near Luxor.

The real life King Tut, in short, was virtually unknown, even in his own country.  Today, everyone all around the world thinks of him as this exemplary king, because we see all the gold and treasures that the ancient Egyptians dumped on even the worst and the least of their leaders.

"My judgment of the skull at first was that it was female," Anderson said in a telephone interview. "It's amazing how feminine he looks."  (Only the masculine jaw persuades us the body is male... every other facial feature is female...  but the label on the box says King, so King it is...))

Sounds to me, non-expert that I am, as if someone in the mummy room swapped in a corpse for a king.  So, who is the woman who is buried in King Tut's coffin, and what did they do with the king?  What I mean is, how do they know the rest of the body is not female, down to its very last molecule?  (If, that is, molecules have a sex.)

******************

Before a pyramid crouched a lion
or what looked like a nosy lion,
paws splayed forward in rest,