[Newspoetry] Medley Mixing Metaphors

DL Emerick emerick at chorus.net
Thu Nov 24 16:56:17 CST 2005

I.  Fear and Hope  (Margaret Wheatly, TruthOut)
we labor for sake of a friend,
when we labor for sacred cause,
sharing with them, blessed elite,
hoping no lasting triumph intend,
nor yet fearing eternal defeat,
but only age-old struggle learn
to maintain and extend its laws
against indignities that return.

II.  Song of Solomon 8: 6-7b
Seal my love like a scar over your heart,
             like a brand upon your limbs;
for love is as strong as death,
             like Hell's fires its ardors fail not.
It burns like blazing fires,
         like mighty flames
Many rains can never quench love,
           nor even rivers wash it away.

III.  He wishes for the Cloths of Heaven  (Yeats - 1899)
Had I the heavens embroidered cloths
    enwrought with golden and silver light,
The blue and the dim and the dark cloths
    of night and light and half-light,
I would spread the cloths under your feet;
    But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
    Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

IV.  Politics (Yeats - 1939)
"In our time, the destiny of man presents
              its meaning in political terms."  Thos Mann
How can I, that girl standing there, my attention fix
On Roman or on Russian or on Spanish politics?
Yet there a travelled man that knows what he talks about,
And there's a politician that has read and thought,
And maybe what they say is true, of War and War's alarms,
But O that I were young again and held her in my arms!